Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

"Death by Pedicure"

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Apr 8, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Press Release:
    Death by Pedicure or 'Dirty Little Secrets of Nail Salons' by Author Dr Robert Spalding

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Nail salon syndrome is a very common yet overlooked problem.I had a patient(also a friend) who went for a pedicure.She got a piece of her nail torn out.After that,her toenail got loose and a partial nail avulsion was performedon her.Subsequently she developed onychomycosis,which she blamed on midfoot trauma.I have a hunch that the trauma to her nail secondary to the pedicure was the culprit.

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Great cover for the book!!

6. nailsaloninfectionsurvey

nailsaloninfectionsurvey Welcome New Poster

Thanks you for the comments on the book. I invite you to go to nailsaloninfectionsurvey.com and complete the survey...
    the user name is doctor
    and the password is infection

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
  7. Tully

Tully Active Member

Since we are patting ourselves on the back for not spreading fungal nail infections like beauty therapists I am curious about the following:

If a patient presents with some onychomycotic nails and some non path nails, how many pods would use 1 pair of nippers on the fungal nails and a separate pair on the non path nails? or cut the non path first and the fungal last with the same pair?

Or dont fungal infections spread that way? If they dont, perhaps we owe a part apology to the beauticians?

8. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Tully,

I think the article is more centred on spreading infection from one patient to another, as there is not a strict set of Infection Control Guidelines for beauticians.

One my previous clients (with onycomycosis :eek: ) before I moved from Brisbane was a beautician, and we talked "shop" about tinea infections, nail fungus etc. She said that while she did her best to prevent the spread of infection in her salon, there were no stringent Infection Control Guidelines in place for beauticians. She would refuse to touch the nails of clients with suspected infection, and would refer them to myself for assessment/treatment instead.

There is no "Beautician's Board" or Association that devises sets of procedures or guidelines. She advised me that where possible, disposable items were used, such as emery boards, and items such as clippers were cleaned/disinfected and reused. They soak the feet prior to treatment (which you know is not indicated in podiatry), and they don't swab the skin with alcohol or chlorhexidine twice before treatment to remove gross contamination on the feet. They use nail polish with a brush that they "double dip" and use on multiple patients! :rolleyes: Do I need to continue? :p

So without a set infection control protocol in place, it's no wonder that we hear these horror stories of foot infection so frequently. :eek:

Regards

Donna :)

9. martinharvey

martinharvey Active Member

Debridement in the First Degree

Should this be "Death TO Pedicure"? or "See Pedicure and Die"? - Regards, Martin

10. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles: