Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Pod N7, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Pod N7

Pod N7 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello all. Any help at all, no matter how small will be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to begin a Podiatry programme this September at Brighton Uni. I would very much like to start reading and preparing for my first year, but am having trouble focusing my energies.

I'm hoping that I can benefit from everyone's hindsight. if you had to do it all over again, based on what you now know... Where would you start?

I'm like a deer in headlights at the moment. There is so much material and so many areas to study, I'm struggling to really understand what will hold me in good stead for the course and what will just confuse and divert me from the usefull things I could be reading. I want what I read over the summer to really benefit me come this September and I'd hate to put in a load of effort reading and working on things that are way above the level I should be or at worse, completely irrelevant.

I hope that someone here can point me in the right direction and give me something to focus on... it's a shame there isn't a book called "Wouldbe Podiatrists Start Here".

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

P.S. I apologise if this has already been brought up here, if it has, I'd greatly appreciate a link to the discussion.

Thanks again.

2. I would say the best thing you could do to start would be to spend a week shadowing a busy podiatry clinic. The problem you have at the moment is that anything you learn will be "naked" knowledge. You won't really know WHY you're learning it. A bit of context before you start will go a long way.

If you want to PM me, I can sort you out. I manage NHS podiatry for mid kent.

3. madmacaw

madmacaw Member

Hi Pod N7

I am just coming up to my finals at Brighton. I didn't do any pre-reading as I only got on the course 4 days before we started! Since then I have read any and everything that I can get my hands on. Once you start, all of the modules give you plenty of suggested reading - my best advice is read that which they advise. You can then go on and read further :morning:.

Don't panic for now, take Roberts advice and follow a clinic if you get the opportunity!

Good luck, I have really enjoyed being at Brighton (hopefully with a bit of a following wind and a lot of luck I will pass this summer although I feel that I am :sinking::boohoo:) - the tutors are incredibly knowledgable and have always been friendly and helpful.

Nx

4. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Active Member

Hi Pod N7

I know exactly how you feel as I was in your position 4 years ago!

I thought about giving you a list of what books to read (we were told we MUST get Palastanga which although useful was difficult to get our heads around at first but its because (I think) I tried to read it from start to finish (I NEVER did get to finish it!). Not sure this would really help you though....

There are some simple books too (which I still have) but basically it depends where you are at already? You may be coming straight out of A levels, or are a mature student? Or you may be somewhere in the middle? Either way, a good Anatomy & Physiology book would help (Martina, Tortora) (spelling wrong!).

Also, depends where in the country you are? Im in Kent? Alot of people borrowed books from the library but I find that hard when Im writing an essay (but thats just me!). In the beginning it was books but part way through you realise ALL the up to date IMPORTANT stuff are in journals that you only get access to once you have enrolled and you can then get through Athens and JAPMA (Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association).

Frankly if I had been told beforehand how much I should read it may have scared me off, when in fact its do-able - you just have to learn to pace yourself and make sure you set a study time-table and prepare in enough time to write your essays and take lots of breaks whilst reading to keep your head clear of WHAT you need to know and write about.

I really liked Valmassays book but its sometimes difficult to obtain (I will elaborate on the titles (when I hunt them out) if you really want, but just giving you my quick response here).

What IS great, is that everyone is in the same boat and you all help each other in many surprising and different ways and makes for building great firm friendships for the years to come that you will treasure long after you have graduated I can tell you!

You could really help yourself by making sure you are in the best financial situation you can be (if that is possible!) so that you have as much time as you can to devote to study..... I know for most that is really hard but again, depends on your personal circumstances.

Id be happy to help, if I can, although Robert's excellent advice and offer is really generous and if I was you I'd JUMP at the chance to shadow him, as he makes everything seem just that extra bit of exciting and new. Every time I have seen him talk on the subject of biomechanics or indeed most subjects he brings an energy and passion that makes you want to learn more.

The very best of luck and dont be afraid to ask for help, the guys on here are great, as long as you are prepared to do some of the leg-work and ask salient questions - after all, its you who will be sitting the eventual exams so you need to know the subject!

Cheers
    Linda

5. blumley

blumley Active Member

i was going to also suggest some anatomy reading. Im a second year student and did some anatomy prior to me starting and found this extremely beneficial. Mcminn's is really good and grays anatomy aint to shabby either. I also used the grays anatomy flash cards which were really good and I still use them now for revision.

Best of luck

Ben

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grays-Anato...031720/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/280-4879447-6162209

6. My Grays anatomy is extremely shabby! But thats because its had so much use ;).

7. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Would heartily recommend you take Rob up on the offer. Not many chances in life like that. Some times he's almost pleasant as well :)

8. Personally, I'd chill out, relax and max until your course starts, you've got a lifetime of study ahead of you, make the most of some free time while you still can.

9. i-a-n

i-a-n Member

I couldn't agree more with Simon, chill, you're enjoying the last of "childhood" it gets serious soon. Being an "adult" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Linda was right too, be as strong as possible financially before you start.

Go along as a complete novice and get trained, much better than "all the gear and no idea" it's possible to be too clever for your own good.

Good luck

10. Bring me a nice piece of wood and I'm legendary for my cheerfulness. I like wood.

11. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Caution! Exhaling coffee out of ones nose really hurts! :morning:

12. What's your favourite wood? I like a bit of teak me and I'm partial to a mahogany too. I guess it depends what you're going to do with it though...

13. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I'm with Simon on this one. You go to Uni to learn how to be a podiatrist. For now, do something completely different or just chill out a bit.

I would definitely go and see a clinic as Robert suggested as you will learn about the most important skill - seeing patients and listening to their whinging without telling them to "man up".

Kidding - being a good listening professional is one of the most important and difficult things to master. Apparently Robert is not too much of a grumpy b@$tard so sitting in with him is a pretty good offer

I think that what you read or know prior to beginning the course will have less relevance than when you are actually immersed in the subject so probably not worth the effort. Besides which, nobody likes a swot ;)

Good luck but don't sweat it. It'll all fit in once you get started

Robin

PS - I am a driftwood kinda guy. but I wouldn't go as far as to say "I like wood"

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  14. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I like Edward WOODward - see what I did there?

15. Nope, missed it. Could you explain please? I am familiar with Ewar Woowar, but that's another story...;)

16. At the moment? Walnut. Fantastic under compression and polishes up all pretty like. Until recently it was ash which performs well enough in compression and quite well in tension. But now I'm using bamboo (which is technically a grass so doesn't count but has a tensile strength similar to steel) as a backing material I'm all about compressive resistance. So, walnut.

Although (glances conspiratorially left and right) I'm going to buy some balau soon...

17. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

I have a bamboo American flat bow. Hand made. Nice piece of kit it is too. Lovely wood (grass) to shoot with. Not tired smoking this grass yet :)

18. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

Quit with the wood already!
    I want to know how that guy got into Brighton, and the other one, 4 days before the course. I am trying and trying.
    See you all at Kettering.
    Oh yes, original question. Learn to draw anatomy. It really helps to learn it visually. Most people seem to struggle to learn anatomy because they have never had their hand on a foot. I draw, I have several books all called 'anatomy for artists'. Take up the work offer. Dale and Rang Pharmacology, Merrins lower limb. Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley, just fotocopy the lower limb chapter.....the really essencial book is Jean Mooney's Illustrated Dictionary of Podiatry and Foot Science....buy it. You can get good medical books at the Oxfam shop in Bloomsbury, just around the corner from the British museum. I got a couple of Dermatology texts for £7.oo BARGAIN!