Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New drugs for neuropathic pain

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by admin, Nov 24, 2004.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Press release: Approvals for Expensive New Therapies Will Drive Key Neuropathic Pain Markets to Double Over the Next Decade
    Full press release..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  2. podrick

podrick Active Member

anodyne

has anyone had any success using led therapy with the anodyne modality for neuropathy patients.

3. wayne@originbiomed.com

wayne@originbiomed.com Welcome New Poster

neuropathic pain. Have you tried Neuragen?

Neuragen RL is a proprietary natural medication for treating neuropathic pain by topical application.

Extensive use of Neuragen RL, including a controlled clinical trial, demonstrates its effectiveness as a topical analgesic which quickly relieves neuropathic pain in a variety of situations without harmful side effects. Most topical analgesics now on the market are useful for muscle aches and related inflammatory pain, but not for neuropathic pain – Neuragen RL helps for pain the others don’t touch. Neuragen RL does not numb the area of application and can be applied repeatedly. The key active ingredient of Neuragen RL is a purified variety of geranium oil, carefully isolated from years of clinical testing.

http://www.originbiomed.com/pdf/Neursurv_res_Oct04.pdf

http://www.originbiomed.com/pdf/TempReliefGeraniumOil_AJM.pdf

4. sandra.jones

sandra.jones Member

Treatment of neuropathy

Has anyone has success using acupuncture for the treatment of painful peripheral neuropathy? I feel for patients who are already on multiple medications its a useful treatment option to offer before adding in yet another tablet.
    Sandra

5. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Sandra,you came upwith a good idea.Accupuncture is a good adjunct therapy which a lot of doctors(me included)underutilize.I am trying cymbalta for the pain-1 60 mg tablet q24h.I try the antiepileptics with fair results.I also go with capsaicin which is a topical analgesic derived from a hot pepper plant.This works by depleting substance P.

6. Tully

Tully Active Member

I also go with capsaicin which is a topical analgesic derived from a hot pepper plant.This works by depleting substance P.

my patients tell me they can only purchase this topically in WA in combination with topical glucosamine...a GP reportedly also told a patient it was available by prescription in WA either...anyone else has any luck getting it?

7. Tully

Tully Active Member

Size of study group

Perhaps when the study group is of a more decent size to draw conclusions
    (ie 2900 not 29) I will feel more comfortable with the claims made

8. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Today I had a fellow with a severely painful case of diabetic neuropathy.I wanted to start him on cymbalta.Then I saw that his liver enzymes(SGOT and SGPT) were markedly elevated.I did not put him on that.Be careful regarding the newer meds with people with liver problems.

9. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Accupuncture can be a very useful therapy for people who have "gone through the mill" regarding treatments for diabetic neuropathy.It seems that this is a very trying malady to treat.

10. Gibby

Gibby Active Member

I know some cases of accupuncture and accupressure helping difficult neuropathic pain. I also have experience with a Dr. Lee at LSU's Pennington Biomedical Research Institute/ Neuromedical Center in Baton Rouge, LA. He has a study and treatment program using Tai-Chi for treatment of neuropathic pain. I have a few patients who have benefitted from this Tai-Chi program. -John

Sorry, this appears to be an old discussion--
    Still relevant, though. Neuropathy is difficult to treat successfully.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Phase II Results For GSK1838262 (XP13512) Reported For Neuropathic Pain Associated With Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
    29 Apr 2009

12. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

I know a rehab/occupational physician who does a lot of work with long term pain. He recommends use of "goanna" ointment, which is a non-prescription analgesic cream that has a fair dose of capsaicin in it. A cheaper way to access whatever benefit capsaicin can provide.
    regards Phill

13. GarethNZ

GarethNZ Active Member

I have been using Acupuncture for Diabetic and non-Diabetic neuropathy. After the 1st session in most cases there has been some change. Within 3 sessions there has been significant change in the pain and less numbness reported as well.

There are 5 points in the foot and 3 on the leg that I find useful, only using these one leg only - this affects both legs though.

Is there anyone else who is having some success with Acupuncture?

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    The effect of Neuragen PN(R) on neuropathic pain: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial.
    Li L.
    BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010 May 20;10(1):22.

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:

ARCION THERAPEUTICS’ TOPICAL GEL CANDIDATE, ARC‐4558, DEMONSTRATES SIGNIFICANT
    PAIN REDUCTION IN PHASE 2b TRIAL FOR PAINFUL DIABETIC NEUROPATHY (PDN)

16. Hoppo

Hoppo Member

Re: Treatment of neuropathy

Yes Sandra I have had some success using acupuncture, with some patients rebooking in specifically for a repeat Tx. Others have found no benefit at all and a small few have freaked out. If they suffer from anxiety I now give acupuncutre a wide berth unless they specifically ask for it.
    Hope this helps Shaun

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis
    Nanna B Finnerup, MD, Prof Nadine Attal, MD, Simon Haroutounian, PhD, Ewan McNicol, MS, Prof Ralf Baron, MD, Prof Robert H Dworkin, PhD, Prof Ian Gilron, MD, Maija Haanpää, MD, Prof Per Hansson, MD, Prof Troels S Jensen, MD, Peter R Kamerman, PhD, Karen Lund, MD, Prof Andrew Moore, DSc, Prof Srinivasa N Raja, MD, Prof Andrew S C Rice, MD, Prof Michael Rowbotham, MD, Emily Sena, PhD, Prof Philip Siddall, MD, Prof Blair H Smith, MD, Prof Mark Wallace, MD
    The Lancet Neurology; Volume 14, No. 2, p162–173, February 2015

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    This clinical trial was just registered:
    The Efficacy and Safety of Clonidine Hydrochloride Topical Gel, vs Clonidine Hydrochloride Gel Comparator to Treat Painful Diabetic Neuropathy