Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Pediatric "running shoes" or "fashion accessories"?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Rory McFadden, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Rory McFadden

Rory McFadden Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    paediatric "running shoes" or "fashion accessories"?

I have become increasingly exasperated over the years by the number of children who are referred to my clinic with "in-toe gait" and who subsequently arrive sporting a pair of tiny designer running shoes.Examination of the majority of these mini fashion statements reveals a sole construction that affords little flexibility.Consequently any structural anomoly present can only be exacerbated.
    Sportswear manufacturers are always quick to advertise "pronation control" "air-cushioned heel" etc.................. Why dont they promote sagital plane blockage as a new feature of their "Paediatric designer" range?

I would appreciate if anyone knows of any approaches that have been made to the leading sportswear manufactures regarding the ethical and moral responsibility that they have.
    In a world that has become all too "brand" conscious, parents who wear a particular well establish brand are only too willing to purchase mini versions of their own footgear in the belief they are doing the best for their children.

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Given that the shoes are made in "3rd world" countries where the workers get paid minsicule amount (we all know the story), I doubt the companies have any understanding of having moral obligations.