Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Efficacy of calcaneal taping over low dye taping in plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by ernepod, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ernepod

ernepod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi there-I'm in the process of writing research proposal with a view to examining LDT and calcaneal taping(investigated by Hyland) for the treatment of plantar fasciitis.My query is ,has anyone come across any studies which have already done so and if not ,are Hyland et al the only authors that have used calcaneal taping for this condition.I can find lots on LDT but not Calc.taping.Thanks in advance

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Playing the devils advocate ...

Why do you want to do this study?

There are so many variations of the two taping techniques, so no matter what result you get, if one of the techniques was varied, you could easily get a different result.

If the aim of strapping in plantar fasciitis is to lower the load in the plantar fascia then I can apply both taping techniques to achieve this and there will be no difference between the two techniques. I can also apply both techniques to NOT lower the load going through the plantar fascia and there will still be no difference between them! or I could ... etc

See the thread I started on The Redundancy of Research on Custom Made vs Prefabricated Foot Orthotics .... rather than think about custom vs premade, think of low dye vs calcaneal strapping - the same arguments apply .... think in terms of using strapping to deliver the prescription variable needed (ie reduce load in plantar fascia) vs strapping that does not deliver the prescription variable needed.

4. ernepod

ernepod Member

Thankyou Craig for your reply.Yes I realise what you are saying with regard to the potential for different results depending on the method of application and indeed lowering and not lowering the load on the pl.f.
    To give you some background ,the research proposal is following on from a systematic review as part of a masters programme.
    The Hyland study promotes the calc.taping technique as a specific 4 piece design as it tries to control the position and alignment of the calcaneum and the Achilles tendon. They stated that 'previous studies have tried to support the arch in the midfoot region and hypothesised their technique will show a greater decrease in pain and function. The investigators repositioned the calcaneum closer to neutral and increased the height of the longitudinal arch in order to reduce stress and subsequent micro-traumas to the plantar fascia'. Their sham taping technique was also calc taping but no attempt to control position.
    In my review I found so much heterogeneity in intervention characteristics, outcome measures and follow-up , no study that I had come across seemed to compare mid foot taping and calc taping so I suppose I thought it was a bit novel ?!
    I may not complete the research project and know there is a minefield wrt positioning in neutral etc etc but I 'd be grateful for your thoughts

Many thanks again
    Eileen:santa: