Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

functional forefoot silicone ortoplastia (orthodigita)

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Gas Gas, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Gas Gas

Gas Gas Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear Friends ,
    I’m an Italian Podiatrist from Naples. I'm working on an idea about functional forefoot silicone ortoplastia (orthodigita).

From a review of the literature comes out only one historical work on the hypermobility of the first ray (Orthodigita : removable felt and silicone appliances for conservative treatment of hypermobility of the first segment . Polokoff MM . J Am Podiatry Assoc. 1974 Sep ; 64 (9): 721-9 . PMID : 4853496).

Concurrent use of felt like armor (thickness from 2 to 10 mm) covered with silicone paste (single-component or double-component) have allowed me to develop a technique that could replace or improve the functional therapies in the forefoot corrections, with or without functional foot orthoses.
    Apply before felt like a kinetic wedge, a Morton extension, a reverse Morton extension, a Cluffy Wedge ... cover it with silicone, allowing the patient to walk for a dynamic cast, detach the felt and pour, out all, liquid silicone (single-component), reapply... and redo the patient to walk... let me get therapeutic tools probably still untested.

Let me share with you this therapeutic opportunity in biomechanics to develop the possibility of a methodological study.
    Meanwhile I found very interesting the words of Dr Cameron on "Podiatry Arena » General » Diabetic Foot & Wound Management silicone orthoses and digital plantar pressures" when he wrote "I found the subtalar neutral manipulation an ideal reference position with which to apply the setting silcone to the three toes , leaving the plantar plane parallel to the three middle metatarsals . In essence these act as toe posts and set ups to turning effect about the STJ when the heel lifts off the ground . Resistance against the proximal phalanx causes the plantar flexors to contract and there appears to be a resultant activity in the dorsal hood, causing the toes to straighten ( sagittal plane) . Abductory the force through the medium silione ( During take off ) reduces its effects and the plantar interosseous appear to re- engange toes 3 and 4 , and they begin to pull towards the 2nd toe ( transverse adduction .) These changes can be caught on the impression material and hence will I use the devices in series ( Replaced every six weeks ) with non- optimal surgical straightening achieved in 36 week period. Correction is dependent upon the quality and range of motion at the interphalangeal joints but even where there is osteoarthorosis present , marginal change in position reduces peak pressure over vulnerable skin areas. "

I would like to trigger a discussion on this topic.
    Regards,
    Gaetano Di Stasio

2. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have some idea but I am not clearly following what you are saying / asking / proposing. Probably it's the translation.

3. Gas Gas

Gas Gas Welcome New Poster

Dear Friends,
    I would like to post a link of a new book written in Italian on the functional orthoplastia.
    The subject is silicone orthodigita, shielding and various podiatry applications.
    The removable felt and silicone appliances for conservative treatment of hypermobility of the first segment, are very interesting, it is an effective and safe technic for the forefoot deformity.
    This is a free and available book, and there are plenty of images and clinical cases.
    If you believe this, our research team

http://www.podologia.unifi.it/

is available to give out the book in order to be translated into other languages too.
    The purpose is to allow the research deepening podiatry discipline, releasing it from the copyright pressures and mentioning the Authors and royalties.

I hope this will be useful.

http://web.mclink.it/MC7400/scarica/volume3Ortoplastie.pdf

Greetings
    Gaetano Di Stasio