Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Why Minimalist Shoes Do Not Create Injuries

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, May 21, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Last week, Nicholas Campitelli, DPM, Medical Advisory Board Member for Vibram FiveFinger Shoes, posted up a new blog on the Podiatry Today website titled "Why Minimalist Shoes Do Not Create Injuries".

I think many of you will enjoy the excellent replies to Dr. Nick.

Anyone else want to contribute?

2. Orthican

Orthican Active Member

I'll leave the podiatrists to chew up the other podiatrist on that list.
    But I will say after reading all the information that some words come to mind regarding this all.

It is dissapointing to say the least. Sometimes we expect more out of our colleagues and are dissapointed when they show us less than we expect. Is it surprising? Not to me. Should we expect better for the public sake? Of course.
    But then once a sales pitch always a sales pitch right? Just a matter of finding the words the public will swallow in order to move forward I suppose. I'm just glad I am not in that category.

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The problem is that Dr Nick continually rolls out the whole gambit of logical fallacies - esp the wishful thinking fallacy (ie just states something then wishes it was true); cherry picks and misrepresents the evidence; ignores research that contradicts what he is saying; etc - he has to be called on it.

4. Now Dr. Nick made a very long reply pointing his comments toward a few of us in his blog topic:

Here is the definition of an extended rant:

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have responded with this:

6. Here is my reply...let's see if it gets published:

7. Craig:

Both of our posts to Dr. Nick were accepted on Podiatry Today.

8. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

...... Weirdness......

9. Orthican

Orthican Active Member

I'm still a bit bewildered. Was that original shoe not just put out for use in shoreline wet conditions, boat decks etc? Then taken by "barefooters" and had the ideal behind it modified to suit a fad? As such all that is being done is providing "evidence" no bad word.. "discussion" to provide the public a set of information that seems credible? It very much seems that way to my colleagues here in Canada. The good Dr. Nicholas Campitelli should by now realize that not everyone (including the non doctorate orthotist) buys into what information has been presented thus far. Marketing seems to take precedence over truth on almost every turn. Money talks in that world. It always has. For this to be purported to be "not about the money" is a disingenuous comment. Where a corporation such as vibram is concerned it is always about the money.

Just my opinion of course. And yes opinion means not much. But it is something that cannot be taken away via propaganda. I still laugh everytime I see the intrinsic strengthening and arch height raising talk. Have these individuals never seen anyone with CMT? It boggles the mind that educated individuals will try to conflate ideas that do not mesh. But there is a reason they will. Again it all comes back to money. Otherwise why bother doing it at all? To make yourself look stupid? No. No one want to do that. At least they wont if there is nothing in it for them. But give a person the right amount of money or name recognition or exposure and they will do or say almost anything. Goofy ass game shows are a good example of this human failing.

10. CEM

CEM Active Member

from what i am led to believe, in a word YES!