Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

laser CO2 SURGERY (INGROWN TOENAIL)

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Carmen Párraga, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Carmen Párraga

Carmen Párraga Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    HELLO, A FEW MONTHS AGO, I BOUGHT A CO2 LASER FOR THE TREATMENT OF INGROWN TOENAILS. IN SPAIN, I HAVE NOT FOUND MANY PODIATRISTS WHO PRACTICE THIS TECHNIQUE AND I NOT HAVE MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT IT. I DONT FIND ANY BOOK WICH DESCRIBE THIS METOD WITH DETAILS

I WANTED TO KNOW IF I YOU CAN ADVISE ON HOW TO USE IT, WHICH DOSES I HAVE TO USE TO PREVENT DAMAGE IN THE NAIL PLATE.

AND POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS WITH SURGERY WITH LASER CO2.

THANKS.

2. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

The CO2 Laser was popular in the 1980s for ingrown nails but rapidly fell out of favor as it did not work well. Why cause thermal necrosis of the nail matrix with the risk of burning the underlying bone when you could just surgically resect the nail matrix with minimal discomfort afterwards (or use phenol or NAOH)? It also does not work for the treatment of fungal nails.

Steven

3. Carmen Naranjo

Carmen Naranjo Welcome New Poster

Hi Carmen:

You can ask some information at the University of Barcelona, they are developing some techniques using laser to treat ingrown nails, although I guess it's not a CO2 laser.

Our colleague Luis Castillo is also basing his doctoral thesis about this subject.

Regards

Carmen