Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry history in UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Podalog, Nov 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Podalog

Podalog Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Do any of you know if a history of podiatry/chiropody in Britain has ever been written or if anybody is writing one at the moment? I am sure it would make a fascinating read. If no one is working on it I will probably attempt it myself once I have graduated.

Podalog

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Related:
    Other threads tagged with history

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

I think Colin Dagnall was working on the history of Chiropody in the UK.

If you Google his name you may come up with something.

4. simonf

simonf Active Member

There have been a few articles in the SCP journals over the years, whether these represent parts of bigger works I am not sure - might be worth searching though some back issues.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

There have been a few articles in the SCP journals over the years
    There was a 3 part history of the Chelsea School of Chiropody in Podiatry Now quite recently....there will probably be some good references to the history of podiatry/chiropody at the end of these. It might also be worth checking the early history of dentistry as I understand that as far back as the 18th century those who 'pulled teeth' tended to also be 'corn cutters'..........:drinks
    Wendy

6. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Podalog

I believe Don Lorrimer is currently an archivist working with the Society and has access to much of the history of that body. There are also several scholarly works on history of the profession and aspects associated. Ralph Graham's wife wrote her PhD thesis on the development of podiatric surgery and there are several other masters works on various aspects of the profession. I recall reading one from Manchester which graphically describes the rivalry between the North and South. Colin Dagnell has always been a keen recorder and kept an independent journal for many years which contained a treasure trove of information. He and Althea Page wrote a paper in the early 90s on the early history of the Society which was published in the Society journal. Dr Alan Bothwick has also written on the history of the profession and as an author offers a unique and profound analysis as opposed to just a historical record. Although not exactly a history of podiatry, the former Secretary of the Society, Charles Jenkins wrote a biography about his early life. Jenkins was the brother of the Bishop of Durham. There is also a comical novel on the exploits of LOndon chiropody students by Voss called "Your feet are killing me."

toeslayer

7. Podalog

Podalog Member

Thanks for the helpful info. Even if I have possibly been beaten to being the first to write an overall history I am sure there is still a lot of unexplored areas still to research.

Podalog