Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Biomechanics corner

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Simon Spooner, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Congratulations to Robert Isaacs for helping to raise awareness of modern podiatric biomechanics in the UK within his new column in Podiatry Now.

Well done Robeer. I look forward to reading your columns each month.:drinks

2. Thanks Simon! :drinks

It seemed mildly presumptuous, there are many in the UK who I'm sure could do it better, but nobody else was!:eek: Podiatry Now has regular articles on things like marigold and acupuncture but rarely anything on biomechanics. I thought the balance should be redressed. I believe biomechanics belongs near the centerer of Podiatry not at the periphery where it so often ends up in the UK.

As I said in the article I am keen for suggestions on topics. I'd like to interest those who find biomechanics challenging so if there is anything anyone would like covered, please PM or email me! If there's something you've been wondering its almost certain something others have been also.

Also I'll be trying to make it accessible to ALL (not just those of us who burn the midnight oil splitting the bio mechanical atom) so if anyone finds any terminology or the tone difficult to follow please tell me! Feedback is always welcome whether positive or negative.

Kind regards
    Robeer

3. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Robert

One could do worse by using the chapter titles of the Precision Intricast Newsletters by that bloke from the US...then add your own flavour!

Then again, some of the threads on Podiatry Arena would be a good starting point also!

LL

4. Robert:

Can you either send me your columns or let us know how to access them via the internet? Thanks for that. By the way, good job for you to take on such an important task.

My advice on writing a monthly column?.........don't rely too much on what other people think....just write about subjects that you think are important or that you know will be important to the majority of podiatrists in your country.

Good luck!

5. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Robert

Yes nice move well done, I like your introduction to the new biomechanics section of Podiatry Now.

Yes but, as I have seen first hand at your lectures, you have been blessed with the gift of communication. You can take difficult theories and shape them into more manageable concepts that the busy clinician can get a handle on. I'm sure you will do well in your new column, introducing clinicians to useful concepts of biomechanical theory put into practice.

All the best Dave

6. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Nice one Rob.

Cheers
    Ian

7. Blimey guys, you really are far too kind! I shall, however, try to justify your (too) kind words.

In particular

I'll email them to you as they come. Your feedback, as always, is gratefully received any time you find time to offer it.

Good advice I think. I'm rather hoping people who do not usually "do" biomechanics will tell me what they want to read about! But writing is always easier and more fun when its something which interests you.

The PI newsletters are a great resource for me. However they have already been done far beyond my ability to add to or improve on! I'll be aiming a little lower!

Thanks all

Robert

8. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Just to add my congrats Rob.
    Do well!

Cheers,

9. Lawrence Bevan

Lawrence Bevan Active Member

Well done Robbo!!

Im sure that you will get positive (not enough) and negative (unjustified) feedback. What you are doing is very important and will I'm sure be of a huge help to many. I wish you the best of luck and keep going!

10. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Yep, well done Robert. :drinks

A very good introduction to your new column (and on your **st birthday too ;).) Look forward to seeing more of the same, particularly in the podopaediatrics department.

Cheers,
    Bel

12. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

I was really pleased to see the introduction of the new column - really looking forward to it. Nice one Robert!

13. footdoctor

footdoctor Active Member

Robert

Congratulations on a great column, not before time!!

All the best!!!

Scott

14. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi Rob

Nice one mate , I wish you every success with the column in the future.
    Cheers :drinks

Derek;)

15. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

Yes, well done Robert. It was a rattling good read!

Tim

16. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

Well done Robert! I look forward to my Podiatry Now magazine arriving with even more gusto than normal ;-) Can't wait for your article on acupuncture...

If you get a moment, can you drop me an email with it? I've got concerns about the postal service here..

Sam

17. Don't tempt me ;).

Course I will.

Robert

18. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi Simon

Reading the link ,it makes you wonder if "forums" such as this would expose its members to these archaic libel laws for criticising an organisation or individual belonging to an organisation.

As the article says, is free speech under threat ?

Food for thought
    Cheers
    Derek;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  19. What an utterly depressing article! Free speech indeed.

Mind you these bits caught my eye

I don't know of anyone like this :rolleyes:

Build it and they'll come :bang:

I'm off to beat myself to death with the human rights act.

Regards
    Robert

PS Oh and for what its worth forums such as this expose their members to threats of slander, not libel. Mind you we have the perfect alibi. On any given issue more than half the forum members are on a different CONTINENT. Say what you like! We'll do yours, you do ours!

20. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Regards,

Stanley

21. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Just had a look in pod now- great start Robert.

May I suggest that in order to fit it in your next article should be on the treatment of hallux valgus with marigold therapy though ;)

Many thanks
    Ian

22. :D:rolleyes:

Pod Now has run a LOT of stuff on homeopathy and Marigold in the last year or two, almost all of it very positive. Its a "growth industry" in UK Podiatry. Were I to write such an article it would inevitably cause controversy and upset a lot of people.

I could never do that.

Much.

hmmmmm (strokes chin pensively)

Regards
    Robert Isaacs

23. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

Congrats on this month's column Robert - a very concise and easy-to-read synopsis on biomech theory history. It has certainly helped my colleagues see what I'm banging on about!! Looking forward to next months Myths and Legends - and the letters that will enevitably follow!!

24. Thanks Ella! I had fun writing that one.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait 2 months for the next one on post modernist biomechanics. I'm told next month is a special edition on private practice so they're deferring it by a month. I wussed out of a full on expose of all the fallacies (I only have 800 odd words to play with which is nowhere near enough for that ;)) but I suspect I still said enough for there to be some cross letters.

Calc bisections are unrepeatible :eek:. Burn the heretic etc. Should be fun!

Regards
    Robert

25. Griff

Griff Moderator

Robert,

If you can crowbar in the usual patter regarding 'overpronation' then the beers are on me

Ian

26. You're on. I was mulling what the next one would be about. "overpronation" it is! Nice one!

I'll pass on the beer though. I've developed a habit for olde Englishe Mead (e) http://www.maidenshair.co.uk/index.htm which to be honest makes beer taste pretty watery by comparison! Puts hairs on your liver!:eek:

I'll cut you a deal. I'll do the column and you stand me a bottle for every outraged letter in the next issue. :boxing: Sound fair?

Cheers
    Romead

27. Griff

Griff Moderator

That's a deal sir.

28. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

I look forward to the following months column where the words slur together :D

29. Stranshly I can drink ash mush as I like with no effeffect on my faculilitiesh. :wacko:

You're on. I'll hold you to that.

Regards
    Robert

30. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Good one again Robert.

Ian