Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Favorite Biomechanics Textbooks

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Dec 6, 2006.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have been asked by a few podiatric colleagues recently to provide them with a list of recommended textbooks to bring them "up to speed" on current biomechanics and engineering terminology and theory. What I am providing here is a list of biomechanics and engineering reference textbooks that sit on my library shelf and most of which I have found to be very helpful in gaining greater understanding of biomechanics, orthosis treatment and engineering over the years. Possibly some of you can add your favorite biomechanics textbooks to this list along with a short review.

Alexander, R. McNeill: Principles of Animal Locomotion, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 2003.

Anthony, Raymond: The Manufacture and Use of the Functional Foot Orthosis. Karger, Basel, 1991.

Cavanagh, Peter R. (ed): Biomechanics of Distance Running. Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Illinois, 1990.

Donatelli R: The Biomechanics of the Foot and Ankle. F.A. Davis Company, Philadelphia, 1990.

Frederick EC (ed): Sports Shoes and Playing Surfaces: Biomechanical Properties. Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc., Champaign, Illinois, 1984.

Fung YC: Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissues, 2nd Edition. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993.

Gere, James M.: Mechanics of Materials, 5th Ed. Brooks/Cole, Pacific Grove, CA, 2001.

Inman VT: The Joints of the Ankle. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1976.

Inman, V.T., Ralston, H.J., and Todd, F: Human Walking. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1981.

Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics: A Ten Year Collection of Precision Intricast Newsletters. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, Arizona, 1997.

Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics II: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 1997-2002. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2002.

Kirtley C: Clinical Gait Analysis: Theory and Practice. Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 2006.

LeVeau, Barney F.: Williams and Lissner’s Biomechanics of Human Motion, 3rd ed. W.B. Saunders, Co., Philadelphia, 1992.

Martin RB, Burr DB, Sharkey NA: Skeletal Tissue Mechanics. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1998.

Maquet, Paul G.J.: Biomechanics of the Knee. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1984.

McGinnis PM: Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 1999.

Mow, Van C. and Wilson C. Hayes: Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics, 2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, 1997.

Mow VC, Huiskes R (eds): Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics and Mechano-Biology, 3rd Edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005.

Nigg BM, Karr BA (eds.): Biomechanical Aspects of Sport Shoes and Playing Surfaces. The University of Calgary, Calgary,1983.

Nigg, B.M. (ed.). Biomechanics of Running Shoes. Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc., Champaign, Illinois, 1986.

Nigg, Benno M. and Walter Herzog (eds.): Biomechanics of the Musculoskeletal System. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1994.

Nigg BM, MacIntosh BR, Mester J (eds.): Bomechanics and Biology of Movement. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2000.

Nordin M, Frankel VH: Basic Biomechanics of the Musculoskeletal System. Lipincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadephia, 2001.

Ozkaya, Nihat and Margareta Nordin: Fundamentals of Biomechanics: Equilibrium, Motion and Deformation. 2nd Edition. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc, New York, 1999.

Panjabi MM, White AA: Biomechanics in the Musculoskeletal System. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 2001.

Robertson, Gordon E.: Introduction to Biomechanics for Human Motion Analysis. Waterloo Biomechanics, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 1997.

Robertson DGE, Caldwell GE, Hamill J, Kamen G, Whittlesey SN: Research Methods in Biomechanics, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2004.

Root ML, Orien WP, Weed JH, RJ Hughes: Biomechanical Examination of the Foot, Volume 1. Clinical Biomechanics Corporation, Los Angeles, 1971.

Root ML, Weed JH, Orien WP: Neutral Position Casting Techniques, Clinical Biomechanics Corp., Los Angeles, 1978.

Root ML, Orien WP, Weed JH: Normal and Abnormal Function of the Foot. Clinical Biomechanics Corp., Los Angeles, CA, 1977.

Segesser B, Pforringer W (eds.): The Shoe in Sport. Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., Chicago, 1989.

Valmassy, R.L.(editor), Clinical Biomechanics of the Lower Extremities, Mosby-Year Book, St. Louis, 1996.

Watkins, James: Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL, 1999.

Whiting WC, Zernicke RF: Biomechanics of Musculoskeletal Injury. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 1998.

Winter, David A.: A.B.C. (Anatomy, Biomechanics and Control) of Balance During Standing and Walking. Waterloo Biomechanics, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 1995.

Winter, D.A.: Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Movement, 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1990.

Wu, K.W.: Foot Orthoses: Principles and Clinical Applications. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1990.

Zatsiorsky VM: Kinetics of Human Motion. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2002.

2. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Kevin,
    Thank you for this- particularly as I am in the process of putting together a list of books we will need for our new hospital library. You have included a few that I had not yet added (including your own), and this has made my task a lot easier!
    Cheers!
    Craig Tanner

3. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Kevin, where does one draw the line in relation to EBP.

Should we go back and put a big black cross on something that hasn't been supported with a RCT; despite its usefulness in the clinical and teaching setting?

4. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

The single book which has influenced my viewpoint on biomechanics the most is Origins, by Leakey and Lewin.
    This easy-to-read thought-provoking book should at the very least make people begin to wonder if in fact we (our lower limbs) have in fact developed to cope with life on artificial surfaces.
    That aside, for me two great texts are:

Inman, V.T., Ralston, H.J., and Todd, F: Human Walking. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1981.
    A useful textbook, with chapters on kinetic and kinematics of walking, development of gait, clinical applications of gait analysis, gait lab structure etc. If I have one problem with this book it centres around the fact that all the work and studies in it have been carried out in gait laboratory conditions,

Nordin M, Frankel VH: Basic Biomechanics of the Musculoskeletal System. Lipincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadephia, 2001.
    A basic textbook on the mechanical properties of biological tissue. Great reference work.

I also liked
    Kirtley C: Clinical Gait Analysis: Theory and Practice. Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 2006.
    which I reviewed earlier this year, but don't have a copy yet.

Good list Kevin.

Regards,
    david

5. I don't believe that EBP states that we throw out potentially valuable information just because it is not high level evidence......we just need to weigh it's significance differently when compared to lower level anecdotal clinical information. However, most of the books I have listed above are books based on scientific research, not based on a clinician's opinion about how their patient's foot and lower extremity works. I say we never put a "big black cross" on any of these references since I have found all of them to have some usefulness for my education.

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    There is only one ;)

7. Kevin,

A few of the titles in your list are out of print. Moreover, the primary source is always better than the secondary offered by text books. Better then to offer a list of must read papers? I would start with:

Past present future....- Payne
    Gait style as an etiology....- Dananberg
    Tissue stress approach......-McPoil
    SALRE......-Kirby

In my experience these bring most people up to speed(ish) in just 4 (OK- 5 because Dananberg is in 2 parts) papers as oppose to a whole library of books. Sorry, too lazy to look up the refs, but y'all know 'em.

8. Simon:

The reason I listed textbooks was because this was the specific request of the podiatrists who contacted me. Even though I agree with you that reading the primary references are imperative (and what I prefer to do), it is generally much more efficient for those who need a "crash-course" in foot and lower extremity biomechanics to sit down and read a textbook, chapter by chapter, than go through the painstaking process of finding and reading a bunch of separate papers.

The list of books I provided is simply a list of those reference textbooks that I have accumulated in my library over the past 25+ years of studying the subject. Some are out of print, some are fairly recent and still available.

The three books I would recommend to a podiatrist who wants to understand current biomechanics terminology and concepts (i.e. moment, moment arm, stress, strain, elastic modulus, force, moment of inertia, acceleration, velocity, angular acceleration, angular velocity, neutral axis, stiffness, compliance, finite element analysis, etc.) are as follows:

Robertson, Gordon E.: Introduction to Biomechanics for Human Motion Analysis. Waterloo Biomechanics, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 1997. (Good basic introduction to biomechanics terminology, in softcover-workbook format.)

Whiting WC, Zernicke RF: Biomechanics of Musculoskeletal Injury. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 1998. (Best review of tissue stress concepts in plain language.)

Ozkaya, Nihat and Margareta Nordin: Fundamentals of Biomechanics: Equilibrium, Motion and Deformation. 2nd Edition. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc, New York, 1999. (My favorite reference book on biomechanics with very concise definitions and explanations with a minimum of equations and plenty of good illustrations.)

They are all excellent in their own way and all of them should be required textbooks for podiatry students and podiatrists studying biomechanics, as far as I'm concerned.

9. amcgrail

amcgrail Member

A very good list. Can I suggest Hamill and Knutzen (1995) Biomechanical Basis of Human Movement;Williams & Wilkins is also a good read. Aidan

10. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Biomechanists

There has been more written in the last two years than since the beginning of time. Keystone references aside, materials more than five years old are pretty dated and particularly so in a quasi-science

For a library, always safer to go for current periodicals.

toeslayer

11. amcgrail

amcgrail Member

I agree, one should continue to stay a breast of current research in periodicals. Hamil and Knutzen (1995) is however a good 'key stone' reference for those wanting the principles, fundamentals and underlying understanding of human mechanics, forces, angular and linear motions etc... very easy reading.

A

12. CEM

CEM Active Member

how about whittle's introduction to Gait analysis and to move slightly away from [but still related to] biomechanics Michaud Foot orthoses and other forms of consevative foot care

13. amcgrail

amcgrail Member

yes Whittle's is very good, as too is Perry's Gait Analysis: Normal and Pathological Function :)

14. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

I agree. Michaud is probably the best entry level overview for lower limb biomechanics. The illustrations are dynamite (drawn by the author). It is a bit dated by now and needs a new edition !!! Get busy Tom

Also Kirby's Newsletters are a must. Where is Volume 3, Kevin ??????

15. CEM

CEM Active Member

yep the illustrations are really good in the Michaud book, i can think of a few others that could do with an update.

and on a completely different subject.....good point where is volume 3 Kevin :D :D

16. I have done 5 years worth (60 more) of newsletters since my 2nd Precision Intricast book (Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics II: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 1997-2002. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2002). I have now written a total of 244 monthly Precision Intricast Newsletters over the past 21 years. :eek:

I am getting old!

17. CEM

CEM Active Member

time to get them to print then..in the same easy to use format as before please :)

18. efuller

efuller MVP

The truth never goes out of date. Hicks' papers from the 1950's are still a good read. The muscle function paper is brilliant and should be required reading for all students, because there is a lot of information in a relatively short amount of space. It is writing on the observations of a simple repeatable experiment. I learned new things from that paper each of the first 5 times I read it. These observations are as true today as they were over 50 years ago.

I agree some old stuff should be discarded, but we should be selective.

Cheers,

Eric Fuller

19. suresh

suresh Active Member

foot biomechanics

hi all
    please suggest books or article regarding
    foot anatomy and biomechanics

suresh.

20. dgroberts

dgroberts Active Member

Re: foot biomechanics

Put a bit more effort into the question and you'll probably get a usefull answer.

To what end is your requirement for knowledge??

ps. I'm not actually a student anymore (graduated 18m ago)....must get a new name.

21. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Suresh - I have merged your question to this thread. The answer to it may be above.

22. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member