Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Dressings for ulcers with gouty tophi?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by mifiros, Apr 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mifiros

mifiros Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a patient whose 1st toe joints are severely affected by gout. At the moment he has an ulcer that is being dressed by our team once a week and sometimes by himself during the week, if he can't tolerate the dsg on for more than 7 days (he c/o quite significant amount of pain). The wound exudes gouty tophi, which seem to prevent healing. Are there any particular dsgs that would help? At the moment he is on allpurinol. He used to be on indomethacin, but it was discontinued due to having affected his kidneys.

Many thanks,
    Mifiros

2. adavies

adavies Active Member

Hi

Allpurinol is good for preventative measures but will exacerbate attacks of gout.

Kiwi AD

3. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

Yes, I thought Allopurinol was contra-indicated during an acute gout attack, and that Diclofenac was the treatment of choice?

As for dressings, you don't mention what is being used at the moment? Perhaps when I know that, I can suggest something else?

4. mifiros

mifiros Member

Hi Ella,

Thanks for your message. I will check with the pt's GP and see if his medication needs altering. The dsg used at the moment is plain Allevyn, as the base of the ulcer is healthy (apart from the tophi, which can be removed easily), although Iodoflex has been used together with Allevyn in the past. I look forward to your recommendations.

Kind regards,
    Mifiros

5. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Mifiros:

Is your patient a surgical candidate? You may be doomed to failure if his tophi are seeking an egress.
    There are times, I'm sure we've all seen them, where the amount of tophaceous deposits is so large that the skin is literally tissue paper thin.
    These need to be debrided of as much tophi as possible to have any chance of long term closure.

Steve

6. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

Do you think that the Allevyn is just sticking to the wound after 7 days and causing the pain, or do you think the pain is more to do with the gouty joint itself? I don't think I'd leave Allevyn on for more than a week anyway - perhaps trying something like mepitel and mepilex together? But I think Steve has made a good point - sometimes it doesn't matter what you put on it, if the deposits are so large, you haven't much hope of healing it without further medical intervention. It'd be interesting to know what the GP says re medications. I guess someone's been over the dietary considerations of gout and that your patient is not indulging in foods that will exacerbate his gout?

Good luck - let us know how he gets on.

Ella

7. mifiros

mifiros Member

Hello Ella

Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing this pt tomorrow and I look forward to seeing the wound. I personally think the pain is coming from the gouty joint itself, plus the ulcer (he is not neuropathic) rather than the allevyn sticking on the wound. The dsg is changed at least once week (as he sometimes dresses it himself- albeit inappropriately :craig:)

I don't know about his dietary habits- he is certainly not the slimmest of people. I will talk to him about that and drop a letter to his GP regarding his medication and possible surgical intervention.

Many thanks for everyone's precious advice!

Mifiros

8. bunion

bunion Member

Ive had good results with polymem Silver polymem if secondary infection.

9. Jbwheele

Jbwheele Active Member

Hi MAte,

Is the ulcer healed yet? Is it getting rubbed by the shoe ? Felt offloading often helps to eliminate local irritation or ischaema.

cheers
    Joe