Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ontario & New Zealand Health Regulation

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mark Russell, Jul 25, 2005.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ontario Health Regulation

Would appreciate some input from Canadian colleagues regarding controlled acts and how they affect the podiatry profession. Specifically under the Chiropody Act, 1991 (Loi de 1991 sur les podologues), reference is made to:

Professional Misconduct
    Section (1).4: Delegating or accepting the delegation of a controlled act contrary to the Act or the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 or the regulations under either of those Acts.

and in the main body of the Chiropody Act

Section (2)

In the course of engaging in the practice of chiropody, a member who is a podiatrist is authorized, subject to the terms, conditions and limitations imposed on his or her certificate of registration, to perform the following:

1. Communicating a diagnosis identifying a disease or disorder of the foot as the cause of a person's symptoms.

2. Cutting into subcutaneous tissues of the foot and bony tissues of the forefoot.

3. Administering, by injection into feet, a substance designated in the regulations.

4. Prescribing drugs designated in the regulations. 1991, c. 20, s. 5 (2).
    Board

How does the above impact on the foot care nurses who practice entrepreneurially throughout Canada and do they enjoy exemptions in Ontario, and if so, by what means?

I am given to understand similar controlled acts also supplement the New Zealand regulations and I would welcome comment from colleagues there too.

Mark Russell

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Mark, I can't help with you want you want, but my obersvations of the Ontario system is that its a bit odd. Last time I was there (going back in Nov), you could look in the yellow pages under Foot care and, if I recall correctly there appeared to be equal number of nurses, chiropodists (either 3yr UK trained or Michner ), podiatrists (DPM's, trained in USA) and orthopedic surgeons ---- its was bizarre :confused: .

As for NZ they, IMHO, had the best best of legislation governing podiatry until they decided to change it. :(

3. Thanks for that Craig; don't suppose you have any contacts in NZ who are familiar with the legislative structure and regulation?

Anyone have contact details for Bruce Hyder in Canada?

Cheers

Mark

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have emailed Greg Coyle to alert him to this thread....

Something odd may happen to this thread - I want to try and do something clever and get a duplicate in the NZ forum --- will see if it works ... don't panic if it disappears and then comes back.

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    IT WORKED ..... there is now a redirect to this thread in the NZ forum!!! ---- stlll learning more and more about this forum's software.