Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Private practice in the UK

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by gavw, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gavw

gavw Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all

I'd be grateful if any of you were able to share their experience in starting a private practice with a surgery. Its a road I'm considering going down, but obviously I have more questions than answers.

What are the approximate startup costs? Is it worthwhile leasing equipment at the outset?

Questions questions.....

Thanks in advance

Gavw

2. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi Gavw,

My company (see below) do a one-day Workshop which explores the issues you've raised. You may like to visit the site and look at Practice Booster.

Regards,
    davidh

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. trudi powell

trudi powell Active Member

Hi Gavw
    I set up a new practice in Sydney from scratch quite a few years ago, and ended up with myself and 3 full-timers before selling off. My advice is listen to your patients. They will tell you if they think you are any good at your profession and word of mouth brings in at least 30% of your business and yellow pages at least 40%. Also when it comes time to employing new Podiatrists, your reputation relies upon their expertise.... so ensure your staff do provide the kind of service you yourself would expect. Work with them for at least 1 month. Always question your own abilities and self assess. Are you doing what you as a patient would expect? Would you honestly pay for what you just told your patient ??
    As to the cost of setting up, I took out a loan. Because the chair, drill, treadmill and tools really don't go out of date. After paying out maybe $30,000 (Aus$) you own the stuff, and not have to pay residuals of 30%. But your best friend will be your accountant, he/ she will tell you how much you should spend and how much you should earn in the first year. Find a good one and you can confidently become a successful business person.
    Good Luck with your new venture !! It is worth it.

5. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Member

Hi Gavin, yes I would say its well worth setting up in private practice. I did so 16 years ago and now have a busy practice just north of London. In the UK it's a postcode lottery how and when patients can get NHS Chiropody service . Check out first if your area is well covered by the NHS, I would be surprised if it was. I run a clinic, home visits and contract work. Set up cost need not be too high depending on what you want. It did take me about four or five years to build my practice up to about full time. Some Chiropodist buy a ready made practice. My turnover is now over 85K will low running costs which results in me making a good income and being my own boss. I enjoy the clinical side most but also managing my business is also fun and interesting, never a dull day, Wish you well for the future,

6. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hopefully Gavin got his practice sorted out.
    The thread is 6 years old!