Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New running shoes for 2015

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

2. It warms the cockles of my heart seeing all these "anti-minimalist running shoes" being brought out in 2015. I wonder now what people like Dan Lieberman, Chris McDougall, Mark Cuccazella, Irene Davis, Nick Campitelli, and Blaise Dubois have to say about their barefoot-minimalist running shoe fad slowing fading into the sunset....only to be replaced by the exact opposite style of shoe?!

Wouldn't it be fun sometime to dredge up all of their famous quotes to see just how wrong they were? Seeing all of these new running shoes having maximal cushioning just gives me a good laugh, especially considering all the insults a few of us, who were the most vocal anti-barefoot/minimalist advocates, endured over the past five years.......it is a very sweet vindication.

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here are some of my observations:
    - I not sure if we want to call this a fad or a trend towards maximal cushioning
    - those promoting barefoot/minimalism were happy to argue that the previous trend toward barefoot/minimalism was not a fad .... but happy to call 'maximalism' a fad ... go figure
    - barefoot/minimalism was and still is supported by a lot of evangelists, websites, facebook groups, books, articles etc etc. Who is supporting maximalism? No one I can see is evangelizing it (except perhaps for one really bad blog post at Running Warehouse), there are no websites promoting it, there are no books on it etc etc
    - yet, look at the numbers: Hoka's now outsell the entire minimalist category - they were released at the peak of the barefoot/minimalism boom .... go figure
    - remember all those minimalist promoters that dismissed the Hoka's as things like 'clown shoes'? ... guess who is having the last laugh?
    - remember that massive upsurge in injuries clinicians were seeing during the barefoot/minimalism boom - this occurred at the peak of the global economic crisis; talk about an 'economic stimulus package' for clinicians!
    - with this current upsurge in maximalism ... there is no upsurge in injuries (which is not good for the bank balance! :rolleyes: ) ... ie runners are not getting the injuries that the barefoot/minimalism evangelists claims that soft shoes cause ... go figure.
    -those who so firmly hung their hat on the barefoot/minimalism should now be embarrassed; some of them are changing their tunes (eg, it was not about the shoes, but about the form) and some of them are still in denial about what is happening.

Regardless of one thinks and believes, runners have voted with their feet.

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Like this one (this is from a presentation from Stephen Pribut that I got of his FB page!)

Attached Files:

5. How about this one?

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I still have not worked out what injuries they actually think are impact related ?

7. I am personally looking forward to the day after the maximal phase is over as well, and maybe people will sit back and think, why did that shoe, running style work for that person, and a complete nightmare for that one, and then maybe start to see if there are any patterns.

I look forward to see minimalist shoes, maximal shoes, standard cushioning shoes , so called pronation shoes , so called supination shoes etc etc etc being sold side by side and people getting fit in the model or models that best suit their needs.

until then nice to see another shoe range coming forward and being enjoyed

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    That is what is awesome about the current range of available running shoes - the diversity! Lots of options that never previously existed.

9. Andrew Ayres

Andrew Ayres Active Member

It also leaves the general public completely baffled as to what shoes they should be buying.

10. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles: