Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Looking for voluntary opportunities in foot care and health?

Discussion in 'Employment in the United Kingdom' started by Age UK H & W, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Age UK H & W

Age UK H & W Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Background Information

Age UK Herefordshire & Worcestershire has been established for 26 years to provide support and services to older people, their families, friends and carers. As part of a national organisation, Age UK England, we are able to draw upon a wealth of experience and expertise to ensure older people in Worcestershire have services and information tailored to suit their needs. Not only do we directly deliver services, but we also work in partnership with other organisations to enable our clients to make choices relevant to their circumstances. We are constantly updating our knowledge in the provision of local services and keep up to date with the latest benefits, grants and issues facing older people.

Alongside the range services we offer directly to clients, we also offer our support to influence and contribute to local strategies and priorities such as the Ageing Well Strategy, the Dementia Strategy, Falls Prevention and Carers Strategy.

Our Foot Care and Health Service

Our Foot Care and Health service requires volunteers to provide a basic but essential toe-nail cutting service to older people who have been referred to us by their GP. Due to the ageing population and a growing need for foot care services in in Worcester, South Wychavon and Droitwich Spa, we now need more volunteers on board to deliver a toe-nail cutting clinic once a week or fortnightly.

At the moment we are struggling to find suitable individuals but we believe this would be a great opportunity for:

- Any chiropodists and/or podiatrists who have retired and/or considering retirement - Anyone with an interest in becoming a chiropodist and/or podiatrist who would like to volunteer to gain some work experience

I hope this opportunity is of interest but if you would like further information, please get in touch at admin@ageukhw.org.uk or give us a call on 0800 0086077.

Thank you.

2. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Age UK H & W,
    Could you explain how these persons will be insured?

And what training/supervision will be given to the non-Chiropodists?

How will instruments be sterilised and will travelling expenses be paid?

Looks a bit risky to me.....:rolleyes:

3. Tracy.gill

Tracy.gill Active Member

I have set up another reply in new posts before seeing this one. Why do the Society of Chiropodists/Podiatrists support and also their members provide the training of nail cutters ( unless you are a lecturer or teacher or Uni and why would you show nail cutters what to do????) and in doing do bring our profession into disrepute, to allow untrained persons loose on the publics feet when we have trained for many years, provide sterilised instruments and have to pay public liability insurances , taxes etc. WHY? There are plenty of newly qualified chiropodists/podiatrists and Foot Health Professionals and established ones out there who would gladly take on new patients and treat professionally.

Thats why I have left the Society as these untrained nail cutters are taking away my livelihood and making me look like a money grabber as I charge at least ?30 for a chiropody/podiatry consult and treatment not ?11? Why are the GPs allowing this? I have written to GPs concerned with no outcome or reply as they see it as sour grapes!! No I am not only trying to protect myself and my business that I have built up over 20 years , but trying to protect the public who are not aware of the implication and possible injury or undiagnosed underlying conditions that can directly impact on their health.

Why is this allowed? why has the HCPC not intervened? Why have we the Professional not had a say on this?

4. DaveJames

DaveJames Active Member

Hi Age UK H & W,

I agree entirely that there is an ageing population and providing foot care for clients is an important part of maintaining individuals health and wellbeing.

Catfoot asks some very pertinent questions.

If you feel that there is a growing need for foot care services in the Worcestershire area, then please feel free to refer your clients to my clinic. I am based in Worcestershire and I have capacity to take on new clients with all the systems in place for sterilisation of instrumentation. Also I provide a full podiatry/chiropody service including the use of local anaesthetics and biomechanical/musculoskeletal treatments.

Kind regards,

Dave