Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Rotational Equilibrium For The Terrified Workshop (UK)

Discussion in 'Conferences' started by Robertisaacs, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am pleased to offer a study day.

Sub talar Axial Location and Rotational Equilibrium for the terrified.
    I mulled long and hard over the name for the day. It was initially going to be

"physics for non physicists"

and I briefly considered

"So what do all those line drawings and numbers have to do with feet then eh?".

"SALRE for dummies" as per the books, sounded rude (and they've probably copyrighted it) and

"What IS a moment anyway"

was a bit vague.

Anyhow. The idea of the course is to introduce some of the concepts contained in Kevin Kirby's work, from scratch, to those who tend to struggle with the maths and physics involved or who have never approached them before.
    If you read Pod arena and never quite grasp what people mean when they talk about moments, lever arms, force vectors etc then this day is designed for you.
    If you have grasped the physics but fail to see how this affects what you do in every day clinical practice, you may benefit also.

The Aim of the day is twofold.
    1. To educate on the terminology and theory of Rotational Equilibrium to improve understanding of current literature and discussion.

2. To educate on how all the theories of rotational equilibrium and the tissue stress model can enhance bio-mechanical practice and improve patient outcomes.

The day will be split into 4 topics.

1. They physics of rotational equilibrium (made simple, with models and not in any way scary).

2. The physics of the foot and ankle (likewise made simple).

3. The application of the principles to the tissue stress model (with clinical examples and suchlike)

4. The application of the principles to assessment casting and prescribing.

The Course will be on Sunday the 18th of October (so as not to interfere too much with your clinics) At the Holiday Inn at Heathrow. The cost will be £90 per head for the day including lunch and all the mints you can stuff in your pockets. Discount available for bookings over 5 people if you fancy sending your whole team.

If you would like to book a place please send a cheque made to Mr R Isaacs to

Rejuvenate
    Capital House, 3 High House Business Park
    Kenardington
    Ashford
    Kent
    TN26 2LF

Places are limited to maintain an interactive and informal format.

Hope to see some of you there.

Kind regards
    Robert

2. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Re: Rotational Equilibrium For The Terrified Workshop

Hi Robert just a coupe of miles too far. Any chance of linking up with Portal?
    Would ove to be there.

Cheers

3. Good luck with the workshop, Robert. It sounds like a very interesting day and I'm glad to see you are trying to introduce these very important clinical concepts in a day-long workshop in the UK.

4. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Looking forward to being on it Rob.
    Ian

5. Thanks Kevin. I'm certainly hoping to emphasize these as clinical concepts, not just abstract ones.

And it'll be great to see you ian! Especially gratifying as you've been to my talks before! Means I can't have been TOO boring ;)

Regards
    Robert

6. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

Hi Robert,

Pm'd you about this, hope to be there.

Regards

Tim

7. blinda

blinda MVP

Oh, go on then. See you there.

8. Rie

Rie Guest

I'll be there. See if you can finally get me to understand these theories!!

Rie

9. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Any room for a little un Robert?

Promise to be very quiet & be on my very best behaviour. :rolleyes:

It isn't that 'I' do not fully grasp these theories you understand. I just love London underground & would enjoy the travel experience. :D

Yours truly,

twirly Chalmers ;)

10. Always room for she who twirls!

I love the northern line!

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Tim, Ian, Twirls, Del and I, we are definatley a team ;) already planning the Sat evening theatre in London the night before......

12. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Aw Bel. Trust you to find us a bit of culture. I'll bring the paracetamol for Sunday morning. :D

13. nickita

nickita Member

yea ok... i suppose i will go... hold a space for me... how 'idiot proof' is this course? as i have a 1st year friend i might like to bring along... just to really terrify them... and show them how much of a career blunder thay have made (he he) - actually its just so i can share petrol and you can make a quick buck out of them... but don't tell anyone else i said that! lol

14. Veeeery idiot proof ;). I'm assuming everyone has been taught as much SALRE as we were at Uni (ie precisely none).

Bring as many undergrads as you like ;)

Be great to see you there :drinks.

Regards

15. Lucy Best

Lucy Best Member

Are there still places on the course? What time does it start and finish please.
    Lucy

16. blinda

blinda MVP

Could you please clarify which Holiday Inn @ Heathrow? There are a few!

Cheers,
    Bel

17. Details details. My diabolical plan was actually to stay at home, then tell everyone they went to the wrong one! I suppose I can't do that now :rolleyes:.

Its this one

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=ut...ayton, Middlesex UB7 0DP, United Kingdom&z=16

Holiday Inn London Heathrow,
    Bath Road / Sipson Way,
    West Drayton,
    Middlesex,
    UB7 0DP

We'll aim at arrival at 930 (ish) for a 10am start. Should be finished by 4, but I'll stay as long as need be if there are things people want to go back over.

Thanks to those who have already sent cheques. I will post a list of attendee initials tomorrow just so you can check you are there. Those who have'nt I DO need payment by middle of next week AT THE LATEST so I can confirm numbers with the hotel.

Looking forward to seeing you all. Should be a good day!

Regards

18. Donnchadhjh

Donnchadhjh Active Member

Just wanted to thank Robert for guiding us through today, and say hi to everyone who attended - it was nice to meet you all.

Great day worth while the 6 hours travelling.

Also thanks to Robert (again) and Ian for the interesting/engaging conversation over lunch.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. blinda

blinda MVP

Me too, had a great day, learned stuff but would like to know more about this `wrinkle` paradim....

Thanks Robert;)

Bel

20. Thanks to everyone who came and made it such an enjoyable day. In particular thanks to those who took part in the Thought Experiments...

[​IMG]

Here you see the person on the left representing the ST Axis (which in this case was a bit medial), the lady in the centre as the tibialis posterior, tasked with keeping the GRF on the medial set of scales at 2 stone, and me on the left being a planter apeurneurosis engaging the windlass mechanism to help. The tibialis posterior reported this to be well within her tissue stress tolerance.

[​IMG]

And here a friendly passing orthopaedic surgeon has come and fused the 1st met meaning the tibialis posterior now has to do the job all by her lonesome. Note the increased effort.

Similar experiments were carried out with various bungee's and ropes to represent different muscle tensions / ORFs and with my long suffering and very patient axis shuffling medially or distally. on request. It was the thought experients we know and love in a somewhat more... visual way. ;)

I would also like to apologise to my tibialis posterior for squishing her hallux with (ironically) the base of the ersatz proximal 1st phalanx. Sorry! :eek:

Again, thanks to everone who came.:drinks

Regards

21. Lucy Best

Lucy Best Member

Thanks Robert - brilliant idea to do the massive foot. It really made it very memorable - for both the course and also to think of how all the structures and distances interrelate and if one is changed/absent it can make a massive difference.
    Nice to meet you all too,
    Lucy

22. Robert:

I am very impressed with your apparatus. You have an uncommon gift that allows you to be able to effectively teach the nature of foot biomechanics using relatively simple mechanical models. In addiiton, I am most happy that there are teachers like you on your side of the world that can aid others in better understanding these important principles of physics as it relates to mechanical function of the foot and lower extremity. Excellent job!:drinks

23. Thanks! It was great fun.

The apparatus shown was the Mark 2 (the Mark 1 had no 1st ray or peroneals). Any suggestions for the Mark 4 would be gratefully received! *

Ideally I would quite like to move it from 2 dimensions to 3 and extend something down at 90 degrees from the "metatarsal arch" (wince) to represent the rest of the foot. A series of crossbars (think fish skeleton) across the central spine could then be added to represent different points of insertion, location of skives / posts etc.

Thats still in the brainstorming stage;).

Regards
    Robert

* The Mark 3 had the axis / crossbar a proportionate distance off the ground, ie about a foot and a half. This was abandoned due to health and safety concerns.

24. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

25. I'll have a go, as soon as I can warp some more time into the week!

26. shazz

shazz Welcome New Poster

Hi Robert
    I realise I have joined this thread fairly late but wanted to know if you've previously added your videos onto portal as i would love to have these concepts thoroughly explained:D