Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Homeless and shoeless in Australia

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

2. kc

kc Member

Hi Jemma, Well done on highlighting this issue . I had only just read about the shoe muster in the Podiatry Bulletin when i found this link on Podiatry Arena, and was able to hear your podcast. Hope you receive many shoe donations- it's a project that could be organised in any city. Something for us to emulate!
    Congratulations.

3. puppysaurus6

puppysaurus6 Welcome New Poster

Just listened to the link on shoeless people, over your side of the world. Congratulations on your positive response. I worked as a volunteer in my early years as a podiatrist, helping the homeless with general foot care. I treated some awful conditions as a result of poor or no footwear. It was very sad to see. Keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

yes keep helping the feckless alcoholic /drug abusing lasy waste of space no hopers who suck our tax dollars dry. just another perspective nobody needs to be homeless in britain as the state does bloody everythingfor wasters seeing as the country is broke judgment day aproaches.

5. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Felt the need to add....

My personal favourite:
    Kind regards,

Mandy.

6. fishpod

dont worry ill just work another hour see 4 more patients and pay alittle more tax so the poeple who sit on the bench outside our practice at 8.30 in the morning drinking white lightning super strength can afford another 4 pack

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Fish

Homelessness is not the prerogative of the lazy and drunk, it's for anyone at any time. For the hopeless and hopelessness can sneak up and grab anyone at any time, for the despairing and despair is a dark comforter and for the proud who cannot see who they really are until despair comforts them and they become hopeless, then they think they see who they are and despair comforts them with a drink or two.

Like Mandy pointed out compassion and love are the weapons and armour to give hope to the hopeless. (plus some new shoes)

Dave

8. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

I have found that my local sports shoe outlet has been very generous in providing footwear for this situation. They receive many returns from "unhappy" customers each year for which they can not re-sell and are more than happy to pass these on to worthy causes. They have also on occasion provided brand new pairs of shoes for no charge.

9. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

I haven't ever seen anyone shoeless in UK, although I have seen some with very worn footwear.

Fishpod flags up a good point. If you give handouts to some persons they will choose to spend it on White Lightening rather than buy food. If you give them better clothes/shoes they will sell them for cash for the same purpose.

By giving handouts we are just fire-fighting, what is needed is a change in the structure/mindset of society that addresses the root causes of these problems.

I now await a hail of brickbats.

Catfoot

10. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Congrats to everyone involved in this, its a great initiative. I also think some Pods recently in Sydney did a sleep out overnight to raise money for the homeless (Christian McNally was one of them I think).

I used to work as a volunteer at Matthew Talbot in Sydney and some of the men there were homeless for reasons far beyond their own control and they appreciate any little bit of help they can be provided.

11. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

Until anyone does any sort of work/volunteering with this side of society it seems impossible to comprehend why some people are in these situations in a modern, well developed country.
    It's often easier to criticise things we can not comprehend...
    Often a homeless person collects no benefits, so for many reasons our taxes do not reach them.

12. Catfoot

I would disagree that some persons do not choose to be "homeless".

We have continual problems here with gypseys/travellers who choose the migrant lifestyle, "squat" illegally, pay no taxes yet still expect their kids to be educated and have all the benefits of healthcare.

There seems to be no way to curb this.

regards

Catfoot

13. fishpod

its the do gooders amongst u that cause most of these problems its like oh if he had adifficult childhood ie deprived its ok to be a burgular .No its not cut his bloody hands off. ps i can fully comprehend these people some are unfortunate with mental health problems but most need a kick up the arse

14. Perhaps we should send them all off to "camps" for a bit of "retraining " then....

Stop and think a little I would suggest, but maybe thats just me

great work for the shoe drive for homeless

15. fishpod

more like alot of re training

16. Think you missed my point

17. fishpod

no i did not if i had my way it would be a field not acamp

18. So far the most disturbing thing Ive read on Podiatry Arena.

insert Homeless, gypseys etc which is what happen as I said Very very disturbing your views

19. fishpod

just dont like wasters cant see the point in junkies alcis etal i would not killthem but would give them nothing

20. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

A wonderful phrase I learned in Yorkshire:

21. fishpod

mike and mandy thats got anice ring to it i welcome all communists gypsies jews muslims homosexuals lesbians short ugly people so long as they are law abiding tax paying citizens its just im not so keen on parasites who contribute nothing to society, i appologise if ive left out any other minority group

22. kc

kc Member

Wow- we are a diverse lot of podiatrists. Lucky we can be civil to each other...
    I never imagined there would be a negative response to such a positive story-naive me. I still say well done Jemma!

23. Catfoot

Hey all, don't get me wrong,
    I would applaud the efforts of anyone who would wish to help the disadvantaged.

However, the cynic in me who has been there and got several t-shirts would just like to point out that there are always those who will take advantage.

The church that I used to attend created a "drop-in centre" that the homeless could visit, get a good meal and have warmth, companionship. etc etc. Those of us that attended the church were invited to donate toiletries, tinned food etc for these needy persons.

This worked very well, so well in fact that some attendees of this centre became friendly, very friendly and soon we didn't just have needy persons attending there we had needy couples attending with the female of the couple being pregnant. Then the Rev said that we needed a new fundraising campaign for these couples that had nothing for a new baby. (Of course they were now eligible for a council flat, supported by those of us who pay our Poll tax etc.)

BOLLOCKS

I left that church on the grounds that I will help anyone who has fallen on hard times. I will help support them while they become self sufficient. But I will not help these parasites who just abuse the system and choose to breed indiscrimately.

I await the flack from those who think that there should be an ever-open door for these persons who will not take responsibility for their situation.

regards etc

Catfoot
    regards

24. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Next winter, get involved with a Shelter project for the homeless, offer a free podiatry service or help with routine chores or just go and talk. Don't try to change anything or put things right, just be there, and I guarantee you will change your point of view.

(Specifically for Catfoot who goes to Church, so everyone else, don't get jumpy about religion and stuff) Provision needs to come with compassion and wisdom. Jesus has provided for us with compassion and wisdom, despite our unworthiness, He will never discard us, He asks , even demands that we become reliant only on Him and lose ourself sufficiency. He does this freely without conditions and only God will judge us based on our faithful relationship with Jesus.

This is why giving in the worldly sense using worldly values can sometimes make the giver feel diminished, weakened and deprived but when we give in the Spirit of God then we can only be grown, strengthened and enrichened.

Dave Smith

25. Dear All,

Thank you very much for your kind words of support and encouragement!!

It's drawing to the close of the month and we've had over 500 pairs of shoes donated, not just from the community here in Mackay, but from people all over Australia who heard the interview on ABC radio national.

We're looking forward to the handover to the homeless support agencies in early July, and are looking forward to next year!

Thanks again everyone,
    Jemma

26. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Everyones entitled to their own opinions - I won't take that away from anyone on these forums, however I thought it may be pertinent to share a story from my days when I was at Matthew Talbot.

I used to attend to some biomechanical issues a 28yo homeless man "John" was having with his feet. Now we didnt normally talk about the "why" or "how" situations, we simply got to the crux of any issues and tried to help. Sometimes however these men volunteered the information on how they came to be in the situation they are in via small talk.

"John" had been in the Australian army and used to live in Victoria. He said he had a good career, two kids and had been married for 5 years or so.

At work one morning he got a phone call that his wife and two kids had been killed in a car accident involving a drunk driver. As devastating as it was, after the accident "John" couldn't get his act together and decided to walk away from his job and away from the memories - he decided NSW could be a place to make a new start.

After moving here, he found trouble sleeping at night due to nightmares, his GP medicated him and he would be so tired he would sleep through his alarm. Due to this, every job he had in Sydney he lost. After some months of this, he couldn't afford to pay the rent and ended up homeless living at the Matthew Talbot hostel. He still had nightmares every day, couldn't sleep without the aid of medication and was trying some "shift work" at coles to see if he could get back on his feet.

He didn't drink, was not a drug user, had a good education, was morally and socially responsible. His only problem was that someone had taken away everything he loved.

I fail to see how any of this was "Johns" fault?

Maybe we need to be a little more understanding, a little more tolerant and occasionally speak/listen more to those who need help. Maybe if we all did a little more of this the world might be a better place?

As for "parasites" mentioned above - not all that glimmers is gold. Led Zeppelin taught us that lesson and it can be applied to many things in life!

Again congratulations to those who are trying to make a difference in our community, you should be applauded and given more praise.