Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What actualy hurts in sinus tarsi syndrome

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Jan 26, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Sinus tarsi syndrome : What hurts?
    Herrmann M, Pieper KS.
    Unfallchirurg. 2008 Jan 26 [Epub ahead of print] [Article in German]

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. efuller

efuller MVP

Sinus tarsi syndrome was also described by Duchenne in the late 1860's. (It wasn't called that but he described pain in that location being relate to the position of the STJ.) It's always good to look at the anatomy, but you have to look at function and forces as well. In my opinion sinus tarsi pain is the result of end of range of motion of the joint resisting high external pronation moments.

4. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

I use to Dx more Sinus Tarsi Syndromes then I do now. When I began performing Ankle Scopes about 10 years ago I started to appreciate how extensive ankle synovitis can be. I now think that some of the Sinus Tarsi I use to Dx may have in fact been ankle synovitis in the anteriolateral area.

I have evacuated Sinus Tarsi's a few times. Difficult to say what the pathology might have been but they all did well! I would imagine when you remove all the contents of the Sinus Tarsi (nerve included) you'll most likely remove whatever was symptomatic.

Steve

5. Here's the article that I submitted for publication to JAPMA 20 years ago where I first described the mechanical association between large magnitudes of subtalar joint pronation moments and sinus tarsi syndrome (Kirby KA: Rotational equilibrium across the subtalar joint axis. JAPMA, 79: 1-14, 1989).

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Subtalar arthroscopy for sinus tarsi syndrome: arthroscopic findings and clinical outcomes of 33 consecutive cases.
    Lee KB, Bai LB, Song EK, Jung ST, Kong IK.
    Arthroscopy. 2008 Oct;24(10):1130-4.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Ligament Structures in the Tarsal Sinus and Canal.
    Li SY, Hou ZD, Zhang P, Li HL, Ding ZH, Liu YJ.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Aug 2.

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Distribution of sensory nerve endings around the human sinus tarsi: a cadaver study
    Susanne Rein, Suzanne Manthey, Hans Zwipp, Andreas Witt
    Journal of Anatomy; Early View

9. NewsBot

Articles:
  10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Three-Phase 99mTc MDP Bone Scintigraphy and SPECT-CT in Sinus Tarsi Syndrome.
    Usmani S, Abu Al Huda F, Al Kandari F.
    Clin Nucl Med. 2015 Dec 15

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Anatomy of the Tarsal Canal and Sinus in Relation to the Subtalar Joint Capsule
    Reiko Yamaguchi, MD, Akimoto Nimura, MD, PhD, Kentaro Amaha, MD, ...
    Foot & Ankle International July 27, 2018

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Subtar arthroscopic debridment for the treatment of sinus tarsi syndrome: case series
    Nacime Salomão Barbachan Mansur et al
    Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira Apr 11, 2019

13. NewsBot

Articles:
    Current Concepts in Sinus Tarsi Syndrome: A scoping review
    ZakiArshad ManeeshBhatia
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 16 September 2020

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Six out of ten patients with sinus tarsi syndrome returned to pre-injury type of sport after subtalar arthroscopy
    Kenny Lauf et al
    Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2020 Dec 19

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Sinus Tarsi Syndrome on Bone Scintigraphy With SPECT/CT: Spectrum of Findings
    Patrick Martineau, Matthieu Pelletier-Galarneau
    Clin Nucl Med. 2021 Feb 1;46(2):e103-e105

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Corticosteroid, Platelet-Rich Plasma, and Ozone Injections for Sinus Tarsi Syndrome
    Serdar Toy et al
    JAPMA

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Sinus Tarsi and Sinus Tarsi Syndrome: An Imaging Review
    Imran Khan et al
    European Journal of Radiology 3 February 2023, 110725

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Corticosteroid, Platelet-Rich Plasma, and Ozone Injections for Sinus Tarsi Syndrome
    Serdar Toy et al
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2023 Jan-Feb;113(1):20-221