Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Stainsby procedure for claw toes

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by NewsBot, Jun 17, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Outcomes after the Stainsby Procedure in the Lesser Toes: An Alternative Procedure for the Correction of Rigid Claw Toe Deformity
    Laurence Dodd, Mordicai Atinga, Julian Foote, Simon Palmer
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery published online 17 June 2011.

2. NewsBot

Articles:
    A novel modification of the Stainsby Procedure: Surgical technique and clinical outcome
    E. Concannon, R. MacNiocaill, R. Flavin, S. Kearns
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; Available online 15 July 2014

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    EFFECTIVENESS OF THE COBB-STAINSBY EXCISION ARTHROPLASTY
    A.H. Matthews, N.A. Jagodzinski, M. Westwood, J.E. Metcalfe, K.T. Trimble
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 25 November 2016

4. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

I have long advocated the Stainsby option for severe hammer & claw toe deformity. I would love to read those articles but without a subscription to the journal and at $31.50 to purchase ONE ARTICLE I will give that a miss.

If anyone knows their simplified technique, pray share .....

Seriously, the Journals are price gouging. I can buy several good novels for the price of one journal article.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I lost your original question Deiter. I had a parting of the ways with the Society some little time ago, so I'm not currently on top of the situation in the UK. I suggest Tim Kilmartin as a starting point. You'll find his details on the Society web site 'FeetforLife'. Hope this helps.

All the best

Bill

6. Dieter Fellner

Hi Bill:

Thanks, that was also my suggestion to the person making the inquiry. In addition to a couple of other people. I heard gossip that PS (UK) is going through a rough spot and some concerns expressed about the expected shelf-life of PS 'as we know it' - I didn't want to offer any misleading advice.

NB PS (US) is also going through a rough spot, for different reasons maybe ....

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    EFFECTIVENESS OF THE COBB-STAINSBY FOREFOOT ARTHROPLASTY
    A.H. Matthews, N.A. Jagodzinski, M. Westwood, J.E. Metcalfe, K.T. Trimble
    8 May 2017

8. NewsBot

Articles:
  9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Claw Toe With Dislocated Second Metatarsophalangeal Joint: Treated by Plantar Plate Tenodesis and Release of Collateral Ligaments
    Yuen Ting Leung, Tun Hing Lui
    Arthrosc Tech. 2022 Sep 17;11(10)

10. Dieter Fellner

6 years on: I have the paper!

To answer my own inquiry: the authors describe a modification of the original Stainsby Procedure. In which the EDL, instead of suturing to the FDL, using a Keith needle (or similar) the EDL is secured to the plantar foot, percutaneously. Apparently it is quicker, easier, with less risk of vascular embarrassment from excess tissue manipulation.

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Treatment of Dynamic Claw Toe Deformity Through Lengthening of the Flexor Tendons of the Hallux and Toes at the Midfoot Level
    Henrique Mansur, et al
    https://doi.org/10.1177/19386400231218338