Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Paediatric Preschool Screenings

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by mastersound, May 4, 2006.

1. mastersound

mastersound Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi Everybody,

My colleagues and I are currently reviewing the assessment methods for the kinder screening program around the Castlemaine area. The current form involves basic gait analysis, footware assessment, pain presence (yes/no), skin/nail abnormalities, structural deformity and proprioception/co-ordination.

The aim is a get them to walk back and forward a few times and post a "letter" at the top of the walkway. A letter is then sent to the parents requesting consent before hand and a follow up, and if anything unusual is noted a request for further podiatric assessment is advised.

I was just wanting to know what do other pods look for? what sort of forms do you use? what methods do you have of assessing? anything else you'd like to add, please feel free to add one or two cents in...anything would be appreciated. It is difficult sometimes to say the least to get the kids to walk "normally" and manage 18+ 4-5 year olds at the same time and try to analyse their gait, and attempt to pick up something that may have an impact on their quality of life. :S

cheers,
    Brendan

2. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    This is timely, "hot off the press":
    Flexible flatfoot and related factors in primary school children: a report of a screening study.
    Rheumatol Int. 2006 May 3;

3. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

I guess the two other factors I would look for are symptoms of pain or discomfort, and footwear. Both are very tricky, as the first requires enough time for the child to trust you and share the information with you (as well as actually understand the question); and the second is a bit of a snapshot approach. However, I believe that evidence of footwear deformation can be valuable in gait analysis of young children; and issues about style and fit are important (although there really is no hard evidence to support this).

cheers,

Felicity

4. Gillycam

Gillycam Member

I have only just read this post and had a few ideas for you..... We do 3 and a half year screenings with maternal child health nurses, speech pathologists and occupational therapists. I find the best way to interact with the kids is to play games with them using balls and other equipment, that way you get a truer picture of their gait if they are just running around after toys and not concentrating on walking. I think you should also include major miletsones, not just gait analysis, within your assessment, that is, jumping, hopping, running, walking and running on tip-toes, climbing on equipment (particularly stairs). Sometimes getting an adult they're familiar with to join in can make them feel more comfortable and willing to participate. Hope this helps. Cheers

5. Sheridan

Sheridan Member

Paediatric Screening Program- Doncaster

I am also reviewing our old paediatric screening program and will be introducing a new one in 2007. The key paediatric person I would speak to who has numerous assessment forms works in the Casey Muncipality. I can pass her details onto you if you would like and you could contact her. They have a very developed program.

Email me at sheridan.gilbert@mannchs.org.au

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Musculoskeletal screening examination (pGALS) for school-age children based on the adult GALS screen.
    Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Sep 29;55(5):709-716
    Foster HE, Kay LJ, Friswell M, Coady D, Myers A

7. Sheridan

Sheridan Member

Can anyone email me the full text of : Paediatric pGal screening tool?

Can anyone email me the full text of : Paediatric pGal screening tool?

Arthritis Care & Research
    Volume 55, Issue 5 , Pages 709 - 716
    Published Online: 29 Sep 2006

Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology

Sheridan.gilbert@mannchs.org.au :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  8. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I think you need to consider what are you looking at in 5 minutes within a kinder setting. I have had long chats with Sheridan/her student (I think) about the old kinder screening program we set up in Casey and have since ditched.

When looking at a public health/health promotion initative, you will have more effect if you change the setting that the child functions in. It will be more cost effective in the long term and easier for the child. Train up your maternal child health nurses/kinder teachers to be more on the ball and then intergrate yourself with a pead team that when they present to your service they will recieve a more comprehensive assessment with a physio, Pod and Ot.

With this approach we have maintained our referral rate and in some cases increased and found that the majority of kids are more appropriate for referral and treatment. All this therefore means more treating time and less sitting in a kinder surrounded by 30 4 year olds wanting to show you their lovely legs.

Cheers
    Cylie

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Population impact of a podiatric school health programme
    Ramos-Galvan J et al
    Gac Sanit. 2016 Jan 4.

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Screening of flat feet in preschool children as prevention of postural disorders
    Miroslava Šutvajová et al
    AIP Conference Proceedings 2343, 100006 (2021); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0047787