Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Kinematics and kinetics of people who are hypermobile

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Jan 21, 2015.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Kinematics and kinetics of people who are hypermobile. A systematic review
    Alexander V. Bates, Caroline M. Alexander
    Gait and Posture; Article in Press

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. fetefestive

fetefestive Member

Unless you perform tests to find STJ transverse axis then you won't find interesting patterns like this one below.

Scenario: 30y.o. female, benign jt hypermobility syndrome, laterally deviated STJ axis, FPI +8, Tailor's bunions, HAV Cl.1 (Manchester scale), 30deg. post. pelvic tilt, genu varum, tibias distally twisted, lots of internal thigh rotation during swing.

We know the foot is pronated but evidently influenced less from the RF. Therapeutic goal? Increase locking of CC jt during midstance to create more of a rigid lever? I don't see a lot of hypermobile patients where I work.

My gut instinct is: 1. medial skiving really would only be useful for severely medially deviate STJ trans. axis, 2. 4deg. medial post probably appropriate for the degree of pronation seen in gait & abductory twist, 3. increase cast MLA control (one of the few cases where it really is needed c.f. medially deviated STJ axis), 4. cuboid notch to attempt to get a bit more locking action, 5. forefoot lat. post to encourage propulsion.

What I know I don't want to do: Overly rely on medial RF posting to solve problems in gait which I suspect lie more dominantly in MTJ ligament laxity.

I'm not entirely confident with how I would deal with this clinical picture let alone put these principles in place on someone else. After lots of conversations with colleagues about the subject noone seems ready to commit to a foundation approach since the mechanics are atypical for a pronated foot.

Any suggestions? Apart from a good physio ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. efuller

efuller MVP

I would agree that a medial heel skive should not be used in a laterally deviated STJ axis foot. However, you need to figure out why this laterally deviated STJ axis foot is pronating. Is your axis palpation technique off or is there some other cause of STJ pronation. Often, folks with a lateral STJ axis will use their peroneal muscles to prevent supination to end of range of motion. In these feet you can see the peroneal tendons are tight in static stance.

In laterally deviated STJ axis feet, the constant peroneal contraction can cause medial column overload and symptoms. These feet can be helped by increasing the pronation moment from the ground. This will do two things, it will increase lateral forefoot load (decreasing medial forefoot load) and reduce the high stress on the peroneal muscles. A cuboid notch could increase lateral forefoot load. You could also try a lateral heel skive. You could also obviate the need for a cuboid notch by having an intrinsic forefoot valgus post.

The intrinsic forefoot valgus post is something that was classically thought to "lock" the midtarsal joint. However, I like the explanation of increasing lateral forefoot load better than the explanation of "locking" the MTJ. After all, how do you lock and MTJ? What is locking of the MTJ and how does it help medial column symptoms?

Eric

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Reliability and minimal detectable change of gait kinematics in people who are hypermobile
    Alexander V. Bates, Alison H. McGregor, Caroline M. Alexander
    Gait and Posture; Article in Press

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Impact of Generalized Joint Laxity on Plantar Loading Patterns in Young Females.
    Aydın E et al
    Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Jun 1:1071100717709567. doi: 10.1177/1071100717709567.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Generalized hypermobility syndrome (GHS) alters dynamic plantar pressure characteristics.
    Simsek IE et al
    J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2018 Nov 2.

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Are people with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome slow to strengthen?
    Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 30 December 2018

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Gait biomechanics in joint hypermobility syndrome: a spatiotemporal, kinematic and kinetic analysis
    Najla Alsiri Mary Cramp Sue Barnett Shea Palmer
    22 February 2020

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    DOES PLANTAR PRESSURE AND LOADING PATTERN VARY WITH JOINT HYPERMOBILITY IN YOUNG FEMALES?
    Serife Seyma Torgutalp, Naila Babayeva, Ömer Özkan, Seval Yılmaz, Gürhan Dönmez, Feza Korkusuz
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2020 Jul 22;18-146

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Joint hypermobility and preschool-age flexible flatfoot
    Chia-Chun Tsai et al
    Medicine (Baltimore). 2022 Aug 5