Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nike Barefoot Running Shoe

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by admin, Aug 22, 2004.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  3. timbo

timbo Member

Commercial Realities of the Footwear Industry

Sound great ! I am old enough to remember Tiger G9,s, Addidas TRX, The first Nike air and the Brooks truth........................ as long as punters are prepared to open thier wallets .......... ! :eek:

4. Ekin

Ekin Welcome New Poster

Nike Free Runner

Hi all,

I would be very interested to hear any further thoughts on the Nike Free concept.

This thread has gone a bit cold, but now that these shoes / training aids have been out for a few months it would be good to get your feedback.

Cheers all,

C

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

Nike Free Advertising Campaign

Whilst walking through the foyer of Nike Town in London last week I noticed several posters and t-shirts bearing this message within an outlined foot:

'58 muscles - awake them all'

Did I fall asleep in anatomy class???

6. admin

Tread carefully with Nike's new 'barefoot' shoe

From Chicago Tribune:

7. springyfeet

springyfeet Active Member

Nike Free

Are these nike free trainers developed in response to the MBT's that are hitting the market. Masia Barefoot Technology shoes and trainers that are becoming available over here, albiet not in a lot of shops.

Neil

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  8. Ekin

Ekin Welcome New Poster

Springyfeet,

The Nike Free training were not develeoped in response to the MBT, more as a response to some research being carried out by Nike.

Runners have often been advised by their coaches to incorporate barefoot training into their workouts. Having spoken to a number of running coaches around the world, such as Arthur Lydiard and Vin Lanana (along with a great many other coaches and athletes), the reasoning behind this became clear.

Arthur Lydiard beleives that if you support an area, it gets weaker, if you exercise it, it gets stronger. The human foot was designed to work naturally - un-shod. By encasing feet in shoes, we have weakened them - the foot is not being asked to work as hard as it is when barefoot.

Of course, the human foot was designed to walk / run barefoot on soft surafces, not asphalt or concrete. When running coaches advise their runners to train barefoot, careful attention must be paid to the surface upon which they are to run - a quick scan of recreational parks would uncover many hidden objects such as bottle tops, glass, stones, all of which could injure the runners foot.

So having researched the differences between the barefoot footstrike and the shod footstrike, the Nike Free concept was developed to enable the foot to function naturally (as though barefoot) while retaining some of the protective elements of footwear; Thus enabling the runner to experience the benefits of barefoot training while running on a wide variety of surfaces.

9. admin

From WCFCourier

10. fatboy

fatboy Active Member

Nike free trainers

i've just bought a pair and started wearing them around the house to get used to them, going to try them in the gym later

have to say i don't care much about the technology because they look really cool!

oh and they weren't free, they cost sixty quid ;)

11. timbo

timbo Member

Sixty Quid! please send 50 quid, i got real good runners that are cheaper and works better . Dont worry about the emporers new clothers , these are much better, ligher and wont piss your partner off if you take them to bed. Please contact administrater for my details, they will be sent via returned mail

12. subing4miler

subing4miler Member

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    At the ISB Footwear Footwear Biomechanics Symposium in Cleveland a paper was presented from the Institute of Biomechanics and Orthopaedic at the German Sport University in Cologne.

They took 100 runners and were randomised to the Nike Free and a control shoe

At 6 months there was an increase in toe flexor toe strengh and inversion muscle strength (but not eversion) for those in the Nike Free shoe

14. subing4miler

subing4miler Member

Craig, I'd like to know what you said means in laymans terms...

15. GarethNZ

GarethNZ Active Member

Craig:

I don't expect a long reply to this questions...BUT

How did they measure muscle strength for the invertors?

MMT (with 0-5 grading scale) - unlikely?
    maximum reps of inversion?
    Don't know?

16. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    We use a similar device and method.

17. springyfeet

springyfeet Active Member

Quote, the human foot has about 20 muscles that strengthen and react when they hit the ground. Some believe that when bound in shoes, the unused muscles weaken, causing injuries and hampering performance.

Why is it that Nike have an all-new Air Cesium trainer with a built in 3 degree varus wedge, surely this could have a detrimental effect for some people.
    Do the shops selling these have trained staff to advise everyone who may purchase these, is a bio-mechanical assessment made to make sure they are appropriate for them. If not there could be some compensation claims being made.

Has anyone else heard of these trainers ?, what do you think?.

18. Donnchadhjh

Donnchadhjh Active Member

Re: Nike Cesium

I am involved in a running shop in the UK, and from knowing about various outlets etc I can safely say very few of their staff are trained effectivley in biomechanical assessments. The good shops ONLY employ runners and fellow sports people or clinicians who already have at least a basic knowledge of biomechaincs (good if you are shopping - question/interegate the staff), but still most of the staff are only 90% effective in their assessments, even with regular training updates, and things like leg length difference and other more complex conditions really throws a spanner in the works for those guys.

Needless to say I have heard of the Cesium, and in my oppinion Nike are treading very unstable ground.

19. Nike cesium flew off the shelf in my local running shop. I only have feedback from one guy who got a pair. He was back in the shop when I happened to be there buying a different pair of shoes- enough said.

But horses for courses, personally I can't wear anything by adidas as they are too narrow and the last too curved. Just not for me.

20. Donnchadhjh

Donnchadhjh Active Member

Nike Caesium etc

To be honest I'm not suprised by that.
    Look at the Nike Shox (the running versions - before anybody flames me) I love the street version - but ever tried to run in a pair - the phrase "It ain't happening" comes to mind and then of course there is the Nike Free's (A chorus of huh?) both look absolutley fantastic ideas on the drawing board and everything is going smoothly until you involve... those people who wear the shoes.... OH YES -RUNNERS :)

In my oppinion Nike do a great job on the technical research and the promotion, but when it involves real people they fall flat on their faces. Either a) their ideas are not comercially viable - e.g. the nike free - who in their right mind would buy the same shoe for 5 - 10 yrs on the run especially when they dont stand up to serious mileage!?! or b) they target the wrong population e.g. the Nike shox - how many runners do you know that will wear a "chav's" shoe?

Same can be said of Adidas - the A1 - nice idea on paper, just not practical though.

Just a question for Simon Spooner - have you tried a pair of Adi's recently? They have remade their lasts, the sizes are still way off - you still need to go up at least 1/2 a size to get a decent fit but the width/length proportions have improved so much that my next pair are going to be Adistar or S.Nova Ctrl.

21. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    From June's ACSM meeting:
    Kinematic Comparison of Running Barefoot and in the Nike FREE 5.0:
    Griffin, Janet R.; Mercer, ; Dufek, Janet S.