Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Swiss Compression Technique for Bunions

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by 1FootDoc, Dec 21, 2008.

1. 1FootDoc

1FootDoc Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Anyone out there familiar with the "Swiss Compression Technique" for bunion repair? Came across several US podiatrists trained in this technique with no explanation of how this differs from more traditional approaches. Claims are less scarring and quicker recovery. Thoughts? mcd

2. Nat

Nat Active Member

I believe the Swiss Technique involves drilling the bone full of multiple holes before you finally decide into which one the screw should go.

Happy Holidays.

Nat

3. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

:wacko: A bit like a Swiss cheese?

:santa2:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  4. 1FootDoc

1FootDoc Member

Cute Nat! I suppose the argument would be improved angiogenesis in an effort to prevent AVN. Happy Holidays. mcd

5. Don ESWT

Don ESWT Active Member

I have just looked up "Swiss Compression Technique for Bunion Repair" and could find only about 3 pod in the US using this method

On a more sour note
    Is there a Limburger Technique has been on the nose for years and should not be attempted at any cost

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year

Don Scott

6. Dr. Jeffrey Penso

Dr. Jeffrey Penso Welcome New Poster

The Swiss compression Technique is a slight modification of what most wood workers and metal workers know as a lag screw. Proper size holes are drilled in the two pieces of bone (or wood, plastic, metal etc) that allow the two separate pieces to be held together with compression that is generated by a screw. If a screw is just run into the two boards just held together there will be a gap between the board that will actually hold the bones apart slightly. The theory holds true that when the bones are put together with the lag technique they are held much more secure and tend to heal faster than just a pin (called a K Wire). This became very common in the 1980's and It remains my way to fixate two or more bones together today. On a side note: A patient came to me today because when she searched Swiss Compression Technique she only found my name in Houston. This technique is the best way to do it and continues to be used today by many surgeons.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer them. If I figure out how to upload a picture I will draw up something. A picture will make it much easier to see how it works. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

7. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Dr Jeff,

Unless I completely missed the point, the technique appears to be the standard of care of compression screw fixation. Is there an additional benefit to the Swiss way?

8. Dr. Jeff:

Lag screws have been used in orthopedic surgery since the 1930s (see attached paper). The lag screw technique that has been used for over three-quarters of a century for achieving inter-fragmentary compression of fractures and osteotomies was popularized by the AO Foundation, a foundation that was begun in Switzerland in 1958.

I would imagine, therefore, that any podiatrist that uses one of the many screws typically used for bunion surgery would be using "Swiss Compression Technique" for their bunion surgeries, even though the lag-screw concept did not originate with the Swiss.

Also, Dr. Jeff, if you hadn't noticed, you responded to a post that was over 6 years old.

9. Dieter Fellner

Kevin,

Thanks, re-assuring to know you read this entry the same. I hear, from time to time, about the 'Swiss bunion surgery'. Unable to find any specific educational reference I surmised this is standard operative care, perhaps adding a twist (of a screw?) or some such thing. Perhaps I am wrong, and perhaps there is more to it. If so, I am sure someone can set me straight.

10. Dr. Jeffrey Penso

Dr. Jeffrey Penso Welcome New Poster

Hello Kevin. you are right I did not notice how old it was or that the post was from podiatrist either. I responded like it was a general public or patient asking the question. I had a patient ask me yesterday about it. She said she searched the Swiss technique and that is how she found me. It is still a mystery how I was tied to that search. Sounds like Dr. Fellner uses the "Mini tight rope" to repair her bunions. I have only taken them out then done an osteotomy to correct the recurrence, but have never used one to repair a bunion. Sounds like they must work well for her, I do not have the confidence to use that technique since I have only seen failures come to my practice.

Thank you for your post.

Jeff

11. Dieter Fellner

Hello,

No, it is not the mini-tight rope but a syndesmosis procedure. A different concept.

12. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Re: Dieter Fellner. 'Hers' a 'him'. He's not using the mini-tightrope concept but a syndesmosis procedure. There's a very long and informative thread involving Dr.Wu in Hong Kong and Dr Fellner on this site - well worth reading.

Kind regards

Bill Liggins

13. Dieter Fellner

Hi Bill,

I have presented the topic in NYC, a few times now. Afterwards, at some point, inevitably someone will approach me about 'this here tight-rope procedure'. Some, it would seem, cannot quite grasp the concept of syndesmosis procedure for hallux valgus and bunions.

Best wishes,

Dieter