Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nerve surgery for foot drop

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by pgcarter, May 2, 2005.

1. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am looking for some feedback in relation to nerve surgery to correct peroneal nerve supply loss to tibialis anterior...is there some nerve substitution option that is happening ....a google search brings up a place in Texas offering an all singing all dancing review of super results....what is really out there?
    This is for my mother, an unfortunate recipient of a little extra during hip surgery.
    Regards Phill Carter

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Did they swing the leg over during surgery and rest the head of fibula against something for a while? Or is the pathology more proximal on the same nerve fibre?

Pardon me, but neuro is one of my many weak points.

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Phil

There was this thread a while back:
    Nerve implantation for drop foot - but I think it was about what you found via Google in Texas.

Lee Dellon has published a lot in the literature on lower limb nerve surgery - mostly diabetic neuropathy, but also on others...

4. pgcarter

Atlas,
    My mother has not been able to extract any very informative or definitive information from her surgeon....he basically said ..."so sue me" and left it at that. I have encouraged her to seek better and clearly independant assessment but that is not so easy...it is an ongoing business.
    Regards Phill

5. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Neurologist assessed her yet? Nerve-conduction testing done?

Ron.

6. summer

summer Active Member

peripheral nerve surgery

I agree with one of the above posts. Lee Dellon has shown remarkable success, but it's used for diabetic neuropathy in properly selected patients. I don't know if the procedure is going to be of much use in this instance, but of course it is worth a try.

I have seen the procedure done, and the success does seem to be well documented. He does have a website with a find a doc feature.

try www.dellonipns.com

good luck

7. Deborah

Deborah Welcome New Poster

I have been told over and over the nerve is to long, it will not take, I am new here and also new to drop foot. Was curious about anyone or anything new.

8. dianaj

dianaj Welcome New Poster

Hi Deborah

Hi Deborah

I also am new to the foot drop , it has occured with me during
    a 3rd operation for back surjury.
    This was back in Aug 2005, i am doing hydrotherapy 2wice a week
    which has been excellant in muscle build up & balance , both of which
    i had none off when i came home from hosp.
    I am still wearing the foot caliphers , but mainly only when driving the car
    they told me 4-6mths of wearing these , now i know the nerve is
    going to take longer to heal, but as long as i have my balance & can
    get myself around, i believe & i have been told that there will be 100%
    nerve healing, so i know there is hope , altough on bad days this is hard to take or even believe, the large exercise ball has also been great in
    regards to getting balalnce back.
    Regards & good luck ..............dianaj

9. pgcarter

My Mother found a neurosurgeon who said he thought he could help if he went into her hip and cleaned up some adhesions around the sciatic path, all it did was help lighten her wallet, another year down the track and she is still using a carbon fibre AFO and has no tib ant or peroneal function.....which will be permanent I think. I hope yours goes better.
    Phill