Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

"Footwear accelerates the aging process"

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Mar 24, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. NewsBot

Articles:

3. NewsBot

Articles:

4. NewsBot

Articles:

5. Has anyone ever noticed how these "informational videos" always seem to pop up from people selling something?

James Stoxen DC - Stoxen Human Spring Approach™

Ed Glaser, DPM - Sole Support Orthoses

Dennis Shavelson, DPM - The Foot Centering Theory of Biomechanics™, Functional Foot Typing®

Nicholas Romanov, PhD - Pose Method® of Running

Can anyone add to the list?

6. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

"Dr Stoxen was one of the first doctors to lecture at an ACME accredited medical conference on barefoot running..."

Anything ACME always makes me smile 'cause I can't help thinking road runner. He never got there in end either.....

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I did a few Medline and PubMed searchs. NOTHING! Why do they have to tout approaches full of propaganda rather than put it out there for peer review in the scientific literature?.... is it because what they promoting does not stack up to srcutiny?

From what I have seen in the above video's you could drive a Mac Truck through the holes in it.

8. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Over pronation ...... it's a syndrome

I can feel a demotivational poster coming on

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Thats one thing they all have in common.... most of these trademarked approaches are based on criticisms of, in this case, "overpronation", and the concepts are not able to stand on their own two feet (excuse the pub). The problem above is that they actually have no idea what "overpronation" really is and all the issues surrounding that concept. They are critiquing their interpretation of what they think it is (hence its easy to drive a Mac Truck through the holes).

Its one thing to criticise something Root Theory (as done by many) or running shoes (as done by the barefoot running Evangelists) or etc .... but before you do that you need to convince people that you actually understand what Root theory really is (not your interpretation of what you think it is); or show you actually understand the running shoe research (rather than just ignore the evidence that does not suit the propaganda) ... I think you can get where I am going with this.

10. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

As is the case for many threads involving trademarked products, the need of the consumers/public for something easy to understand makes such products commercially viable despite their lack of evidence base, peer review and genuine research.

The problem is that in our world, overpronation does not exist as an entity/diagnosis/syndrome. Which is enormously inconvenient. We can but continue to try and educate. I do with nearly every patient that comes through my door and I make a special effort with runners/race walkers/athletes to get this point across.

Robin

11. And thats a huge point here re Root - the more I read the more I know I had misinterpreted Root writings and I swear we were taught at school, alot of misinterpreted material ie langer (langer Ideas of STJ neutral as an example) theory rather than Root now I think about it.

12. Griff

Griff Moderator

I haven't watched the video in post #4 (I just can't bring myself to do it at the moment). Is it me or in the holding picture of their 'normal walking' Vs 'overpronation syndrome' video have they not just pictured an abducted foot?

Likewise. But by friday afternoon, after saying it 30-40 times that week it gets tedious. Very tedious. That's why I'm gonna fight back the way only a geek knows how. I'm gonna write a blog about it and then just dish out the URL for them to read in their own time...

13. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

wearing shoes does not seem to have aged jennifer aniston looks good for 42

14. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I tend not to notice the age of her feet :)

15. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

me to ian

16. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I look forward to increasing the traffic through your blog even more. I've been giving out the link to your trainer blog like billy-o

RP

17. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

I might believe him if he was a Skinny, Masai barefoot runner.