Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

HPC and Podiatric Surgery

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by PodMan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. PodMan

PodMan Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    1.Man goes to USA and trains as Podiatric Surgeon and comes back here to Practice.

2. <ADMIN EDIT><names removed>

3. HPC cannot decide what to do so go away to discuss?

4. HPC probably speak to hierarchy who consist of medics who hate pod surgeons.

OUTCOME

HPC now decide to investigate <ADMIN EDIT><names removed> to decide whether they are fit to undertake Pod Surgery :p

Seems the Society want to control EVERYTHING, <ADMIN EDIT><names removed>

MORE FRAGMENTATION ON THE WAY THEN, unification who benefits........

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  2. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi.
    I can kind of see where you are coming from here, and would agree that some professional bodies do perhaps exert more than their fair share of control.

I think you are wrong to imply that all medics hate pod surgeons. Pod surgeons in the NHS work alongside medics to a greater or lesser extent, and in the Midlands (my patch :) ) I and a pod surgeon colleague receive quality referrals from GPs.

Regards,
    David

3. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

lack of reciprocity...

Unfortunately there is no agreed educational reciprocity between the US and the UK.

So it may cold comfort to know the UK trained Podiatric Surgeon will also enjoy a similar reception in the USA. None of the UK qualification will be acknowledged by the educational authorities.

If the podiatric surgeon should wish to practice in the US he/she will have to look forward to 4 years basic training and 1-4 years residency work.

Sucks both ways. :mad:

And the US has no HPC to get mad with. :eek:

4. PodMan

PodMan Welcome New Poster

The moderator has moderated a bit too much so you dont get the message I sent.

A Pod Surgeon has complained to the HPC that an SRCh went to the USA and trained then came back here and practised without doing the socap course, hence they said he was not qualified.

What came out of this was that the HPC are now investigating the surgeon who complained in the first case as he never trained through medicine so they think he aswell is not qualified.

5. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Oh.....

Podman - I now appreciate what you are saying here. Quick recap: The HPC do not know what a Podiatric Surgeon (UK) is? .... REALLY? . How the heck did this happen? Perhaps a few key personnel were out for lunch when professional regulation was discussed? That's quite a funny story (after a few pints - perhaps less so the morning after, in the cold day of light). Come on, does the HPC know what a Podiatrist is? Ok, seriously, who regulates the HPC? I want to blow a whistle on this organization and have someone reprimanded. Steep learning curve it seems..... (there is no "smilie" for the gutwrenching feeling this inspires - more smilies please moderator?)

Has anyone asked the HPC ( why is it this abbreviation always makes me think of brown and fruity HP sauce?) to call SOCAP and speak to the Dean of the Surgical Faculty. No, wait - too obvious. What am I thinking of ...

Is there a follow up to this? :cool: