Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Surgical procedures for abducted toes

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by footdoc8390, May 28, 2006.

1. footdoc8390

footdoc8390 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    abducted toe surgery suggestions

Can someone give me some advice on surgery for abducted 2nd and 3rd
    toes? I tried a Reverdin on the 2nd toe, but it did not solve the problem.
    What would you recommend on the 3rd toe? I was thinking of performing
    a Weil Osteotomy and pivoting the 3rd head to a more medial position.

The toes form a "V" when patient is weight-bearing. Any suggestions would
    be greatly appreciated. She is scheduled for surgery very soon.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. podrick

podrick Active Member

i usually approach these with a" reverdin like," osteotomy.however,i make a more narrow cut using a burr(open surgery) and leaving a hinge which i then "green stick,"(turn the digit towards the direction of the deformity and then return it towards the direction of the osteotomy until it breaks).i then fixate with a .035 k-wire,which i leave in for 4-6 weeks.furthermore i will perform capsulotomies,flexor and extensor tenetomies as needed in order to achieve the best possible reduction.
    if for whatever reason is still see i can't achieve an ideal alignment.i will then consider a v-y skin pasty.however,i find that these should always be done as supplemental to the above mentioned procedures, not as a substitute as is frequently mentioned in the literature.
    i hope this is of assistance to you.

3. DPM430

DPM430 Welcome New Poster

I believe these are due to intrinsic muscular imbalances, and are best left untreated. They are mostly if not completely a cosmetic complaint. If surgery was necessary, I would free up all soft tissue atachments to the base of the proximal phalanx, place a .045 K-wire across the joint, and allow it to fibrose for 6 weeks.

I don't see how 'mini-reverdins' is the answer. There is not an angular deviation of the base of the proximal phalanx nor the head of the metatarsal, in the cases I have seen.