Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Charging Patients for Missed Appointments

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by NewsBot, Feb 1, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    When a patient fails to show up for an appointment, the resulting hole in the physician's schedule can mean the loss of billable time. However, a change in Medicare's general billing requirements now allows physicians to charge Medicare beneficiaries for missed appointments.

More...

2. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Re: Physicians Can Charge Patients for Missed Appointments

Just to enquire,

Is it common practice to charge podiatry patients a missed appointment fee?

It is quite usual in NHS dentistry (though not NHS Podiatry) to charge a patient for a missed appointment.

Personally I believe it to be a good idea.

Any thoughts?

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Re: Physicians Can Charge Patients for Missed Appointments

My understanding is that you can really only charge for a missed appointment if the person who missed the appointment was aware that they would be charged for the missed appointment. '......that does not mean that you can't try and charge someone for a missed appointment anyway --- as to if you can legally enforce it will depend on if you can demonstrate that they were aware they would be charged.

Obviously its a business decision of you want to try and charge.

4. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Thanks Craig,

I don't have too many failing to attend in private practice (although I do charge for missed appts. & this fact is noted on the reverse of the patients appt. card & there are signs in my clinic area too.)

My experience in NHS service varied usually with the weather. ie. Sunshine = nice day out to the coast (pt. not me).

Although when raining cats n dogs, blizzard & sub zero most would attend.

Must admit though I always ask the reason why when a pt. fails to attend or notify,
    after I became cross with a lady who had failed an appt.

Her husband had died that morning & I guess her feet were not high on her list of priorities that day.

Still cringe at the thought....

Regards,

5. Dean Hartley

Dean Hartley Active Member

Ouch... There wouldn't have been a hole big enough I could imagine...

6. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Hi Dean,

It was a very sharp learning tool I can tell you.

Educationally it was a real help.

I now open ears before BIG GOB! :eek:

7. Dean Hartley

Dean Hartley Active Member

I couldn't imagine what your response would of been to that. Long way to come back from!!

8. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

I have no idea of the precise legal standing of an agreement to provide/attend an appointment, however, it is probably binding in honour only. This being the case, both parties are bound to keep the contract and in case of failure should offer recompense to the other. Both should make every effort to inform the other if it is expected that they will be unable to honour their part of the bargain - an alternative appointment in the case of the provider and financial recompense on the part of the recipient.

It is probably good practice for the provider to offer leeway depending on circumstances - Twirly's example is a case in point, however, for the serial offender, a written invoice will at least send them elsewhere even if financial compensation is not forthcoming!

Bill

9. zaffie

zaffie Active Member

Hi

We have sign on wall and all appointment cards carry the "fee may be charged for appointments not canceled" etc

We write to serial offenders with mixed results some pay some go elsewhere. Quite frankly loosing patients like this is a blessing as far as I am concerned.;)

We have also charged patients in advance that worked very well I don't mind sitting around doing nothing and being paid:D

Like others have said you have to judge by the circumstances the policy of charging is not written in stone.

It is really strange but these days we have patients insisting they pay for missed appointments even when they have a very legitimate excuse for doing so:eek:

Do others charge the whole fee for missed appointments or a percentage?

10. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Hi once again Dean,

Muchly apologies, bowing & Oh my God I am so very sorry was mostly forthcoming for duration of treatment.

Closely followed by: '' When would you next prefer to be seen?''

we all simper from time to time methinks.

11. Leigh Shaw

Leigh Shaw Active Member

I feel for you in relation to the bereaved widow, and yet everyone is different. I once had a patient turn up for her appointment on the morning of her husbands funeral - her reasoning it was going to be a busy day and life had to go on.

As to charging for missed appointments, one way around it is to have the patients contacted by phone the day before, if they still dont turn up then you could feel more justified in charging them.

12. George Brandy

George Brandy Active Member

The never ending problem of missed appointments.

We have an "administration" charge for missed appointments and this charge at the moment is £12.50.

All patients known to the practice are phoned in a sensitive manner when they fail to attend an appointment. We do this within 10 minutes of their failure to show and along the lines of " we were expecting you at the clinic and hope everything is OK". This avoids Twirly's situation because if the bricks are down then we can be sympathetic but usually we are met with amazement that they've missed. Persistant offenders are identified and supported with a reminder phone call 24hrs before their appointment is due. Yes this costs us - 10p vs £27 lost if patient then DNA's.

We have a policy that anyone can make a mistake once. This offers an opportunity to explain the administration charge face to face and this is backed up with clinic notices explaining the admin charge. All appointment cards carry the notice that missed appointments may be charged.

We will never resolve the "DNA" problem and there are times when discretion has to prevail - sudden illness, weather, transport problems, death (it happens) but I have found this admin charge has reduced (not stopped) the rate of missed appointments.

I have been unable to resolve the new patients who fail to attend probably because they have got in somewhere sooner. That one drives me nuts! Especially when we can fit new patients in within 48 hrs. What do people expect - miracles??

GB

13. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

I had a serial offender who in the end we said we would only take as the last patient of the day, if she was in the door by the time I had finished the second last one I would see her, if not I was going home....it seemed to work fine

14. Tim Foran

Tim Foran Active Member

Hope that meant you didn't rush the second last just so you could get away. Sounds a good idea.

15. Princess

Princess Active Member

We have just started to implement this - we send out a letter after the 1st missed appointment - advising that they have missed and although we understand that some circumstances are unavoidable, appointments could have been used by another patient - and that there won't be a charge this time but next time there will be.
    We have also put signage in the reception and waiting areas.
    As previously stated if it gets rid of those pts that continuously fail - it's no bad thing!!

Regards

16. Luke D

Luke D Welcome New Poster

I have been having a similar discussion with a colleague as to the best way to deal with patients who keep on not turning up. Their response was that you need the people to be coming in, and you can't be turning them away. Which I agreed with, to a point.

Having not really thought of it from your perspective, I must say yours is a far more practical approach. If their not going to be coming in, no point booking out a spot for them.

17. Princess

Princess Active Member

I thinks it's also to do with patients having respect for our time. As others have said - you expect to pay for a missed dental appointment - why not us!

Trying to be nice but firm! Not the easiest thing to be!

18. joyfulmia

joyfulmia Member

I think with some patients it appears to be a culture thing as to why they dont turn up for an appointment. Where I work, we always ring the patients to remind them the day before of their appt. While this provides an opportunity for the pt to cancel, some still confirm and don't show up. The majority of these pts are on a funded diabetic/high risk foot program and therefore we can still bill them if they don't turn up. If they miss more than 4 appointments we usually exit them from the program as we don't want to continually be booking them in when other pts can have that time slot. The frustrating thing is when they just don't understand how important it is for them to come in regularly (so that pre-ulcerative area does not become an ulcer etc etc!!)

19. perrypod

perrypod Active Member

Legally speaking a contract between parties is binding if an offer is made and accepted, that there was contractual intent and also legally defined consideration.
    If a practitioner has offered to treat a patient at a given time and that patient has accepted to attend at that given time and pay for the pay for this consideration, then a legally binding contract has been established.
    If the patient does not pay for the professional time reserved for them, whether they attend or not,
    I submit that they are legally in breach of contract.
    The law cited is English contract law. Contract law in different countries may vary.

20. brevis

brevis Active Member

One of the clinics i work out of is a large multidiciplinary/general practice private clinic in rural Victoria. They use "sms's" to remind pt's the day before. Seems to be economically viable in their opinion. Some practitioners have no hesitation in "banning" serial offenders.....Wish i had the same will power:(

21. ClintonAbel

ClintonAbel Active Member

"...that you need the people to be coming in, and you can't be turning them away. Which I agreed with, to a point."

Having not really thought of it from your perspective, I must say yours is a far more practical approach. If their not going to be coming in, no point booking out a spot for them.[/QUOTE]

I used to think that my "No Show" patients were a missed chance at billing. I have since rethought this, and not only is that spot not making you money, it is actually costing you money.

Put an hourly rate on your head (or your employees), and you can soon see, that some patients actually COST you money. So when they do you need to bring this to their attention, that they are becoming "delinquents".

We have employed, among other strategies, a virtual schedule. If a patient does not heed our warnings, we will not give them another specific appointment time. We give them a day, morning or afternoon, and they wait until the next available podiatrist can see them.

Failing this, it is sometimes the case you need to discharge a patient from your care. Not ideal but sometimes necessary.

It is however the eternal question for anyone who runs an appointment book.

22. victoriah

victoriah Active Member

I myself tend to cut the first no show a bit of slack, with a polite reminder that next time they will be charged. I usually make a big deal of waiving the fee on the first occasion, which goes either way: either the patient expresses shame and offers to pay anyway....or they get a bit snotty, in which case I note that they may not be the kind of person I wish to treat anyway.

A recent FTA patient of mine has been nothing but trouble from the very start (trying to get me to fiddle a receipt, requesting a general anaesthetic for the removal of a corn, being generally quite rude on the phone)...that he didn't turn up for the appointment after all that was the icing on the cake for me. I requested a deposit for his next appointment (knowing that he wouldn't agree), and thank God, he's gone elsewhere.

My dentist charges folk £1 for every minute patients are late!

23. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear All,

This is a thorny subject but get an independent legal opinion.

Make an appointment to see a solicitor .

Fail to attend

Ring up a few days later to resechedule making no apology for the missed appt.

I will then follow the legal practice's response to this conduct as my future practice DNA policy.:drinks

Today i had a pt ring up from her work place 15 mins after her due appt time.

She wished to reschedule her appt as she was busy, i was about to respond when she hung up.

10 mins later she rings back again asking to reschedule,

I said that for the year she had been attending/not attending the practice she had attended 3 out of 10 appts. Today being the 3 rd since dec 07 the occassion of her last attendence.:deadhorse:

She became all indignant stating that did i not want her business and that she would go elsewhere.:drinks

Now let me see easy numbers for the maths.

10 appts should have realised a revenue of $500.00

3 appts attended realised $150.00

So in order to generate a revenue of 150.00 it cost the practice $350.00.:butcher:

Now even i can do these sums so the loss of her business will save the practice $350.00.:drinks

So we are on a winner with this one.

Now this is not my practice so i do not decide the DNA policy but i would not charge for the 1st DNA.

But would charge for all subsequent DNA.

If you lose the pt to your competitor rejoice in the fact that the pt will be bankrupting your competitor and not yourself.

regards David

24. victoriah

victoriah Active Member

What really peeved me with the patient I mentioned above, was his response to my follow-up call. I made no reference to any FTA charge, simply mentioning that he had missed his appointment, and when would he wish to rebook? He took great offence at this, telling me it wasn't missed, it was a cancellation...because he had phoned in at ten minutes notice to say he was stuck on a train.

I thought, well, if you're going to be so uptight about it, then perhaps I too will be uptight and charge you for 'inadequate notice of a cancellation'. Such people do themselves no favours, really.

25. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

Received some good business advice at a conference a while back, about selling products on account. "Your best customer isn't your best customer if they don't pay you on time". Better to have a few reliable customers on the books than a lot of problem ones.

26. eiregal

eiregal Member

With the recession now firmly in place we've found that its important to try and keep our customers happy as they are now less likely to put their hands in their pockets.

We have placed a sign on our wall that reads as follows:

1st missed appointment - we understand anyone can forget

2nd missed appointment - We're not very happy a gift (flowers or chocolates will be required).

3rd missed appointment - our standard charge will apply

4th missed appointment - we won't make anymore appointment for you

ps we love flowers and chocolates.

our regular customers found the sign funny and a few even brought us in chocolates lol!

27. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

This is still an ongoing issue for many. Missed appointments from 1/6/12 equates to 3.5 weeks of 8 hours a day!!! missed or not cancelled with due notice!!
    Yes it costs big time! We now charge a fee and I simply wish I had put this in place 30 years ago! One Team members dentist charge $150. for missed appt! Needless to say there are NONE. One Gp in city charges $50 if client is late to their appt.
    phone reminers, sms still do not help that much. Again worst are the NP's who you book longer appt times for. Many of these have an excuse the first time and no show the 2nd!!! Arrrgh.
    Cheers