Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

RCT of custom foot orthoses and low back pain

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by admin, Feb 3, 2005.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A Controlled Randomized Study of the Effect of Training With Orthoses on the Incidence of Weight Bearing Induced Back Pain Among Infantry Recruits.
    Spine. 2005 Feb 1;30(3):272-275.
    Milgrom C, Finestone A, Lubovsky O, Zin D, Lahad A.

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

On the basis of the above summation, the authors should be congratulated, for at least specifying (and including)a particular type of back pain; in this case weight-bearing induced.

Too many studies across many professions don't bother to do this, and thus their research is relatively meaningless.

"Non-specific back-pain" is an unnecessary overused term. It has emerged because we are either too lazy or incapable of obtaining quality information from the patient and/or from our clinical examination.

I am presuming that weight-bearing induced back pain is eased by non-weightbearing and bedrest; while it is exacerbated by standing/walking, definitely carrying, and perhaps sitting. These are the backs that predictably don't get better after their practitioner advises ('best practice') to walk and exercise. :confused:

3. martinharvey

martinharvey Active Member

Proving a negative?

I seem to remember reading a synopsis of a similar study in 'Gait and Posture', must be five years or so ago. The research was performed by Salford University Podiatry Dep't I believe, and also used a sample group of non - symptomatic, fit adults, to prove that they did not subsequently suffer back pain as measured against a non - orthotised control group who also did not go on to develop back pain. If someone remembers this study more accurately and I have mis- remembered please correct me. Personally, most Patients that I fit with orthotics come to me after developing symptoms and often have factors such as limb - length inequality, hyperpronation and internal tibial rotation, anterior / lateral pelvic tilts Etc Etc Etc that do IMHO seem to generally respond to orthotic intervention. Would not a study of subjective pain perception from symptomatic individuals +/- orthotic intervention be an interesting comparison?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Responsiveness of the short-form 36 and oswestry disability questionnaire in chronic nonspecific low back and lower limb pain treated with customized foot orthotics.
    Ferrari R.
    J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2007 Jul-Aug;30(6):456-8.

5. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

anyone have a hard copy of this entire article that they'd like to share???
    Thanks.
    Bruce

6. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

Send me your email address.

7. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

Craig Payne sent me a copy last week.
    Thanks though!
    Bruce