Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The role of foot size in physical attractiveness

Discussion in 'Podiatry Trivia' started by admin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A cross-cultural investigation of the role of foot size in physical attractiveness.
    Arch Sex Behav. 2005 Jun;34(3):267-76.

2. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

3. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Hi Felicity,

Large feet in men so they can run like hell!

Small feet in women so that I never thought of that!

Regards,

Colin. (Liked that one of yours Felicity, full of expression!).

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Whilst I express no preference myself, it would appear the argument from a historical perspective does support the small feet are sexy theorem. In an excellent article on the sexualisation of the foot, which traces man's preoccupation with the pedal extremities, presented is a series of examples from art and literature which provide compelling if what circumstantial evidence that beautiful ladies should have small feet with curved arches and straight toes. This seems to be the case from the Middle Ages in occidental society and of course bound feet in oriental Society were bound to restrict growth. So it appears for about 1000 years certainly small feet (in women) were a more and metaphor for sexy in civilised society. Of course anything and everything that adorned them was also by association furtive. The term shoe itself of Anglo Saxon origin means to cover (furtively).

Whilst there is no definitive research available (to the best of my knowledge), many theories to explain the attractiveness to the smaller foot do exist. These are frequently associated with the literature relating to high-heeled shoes. The one I find most likely describes a primal recognition for the weakest in the herd. Some people react to these stimuli with a desire to protect and care for the vulnerable whereas others (the predator) see the lame as a weak link, and suitable victim to prey upon.

The attraction for small feet may be a primal attraction, which remains stronger for some than others. In most individuals this refinement been lost to our conditioning to live in an image driven consumer society, till the lights go out, then, as my dear Mother used to say.

“ No one knows where the nose goes, when the lights go out!”

What say you?

Cameron

5. Gen

Gen Member

feet?!

Hi All
    Does anyone think that it may not be feet alone?1
    What I mean is: small feet= petite body, big feet= larger, manly kind of bod :D
    What do you think?
    Are people attracted to the foot size or the body that goes with them?!

Just a thought...

6. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Gen

The phenomenon is specifically attraction to feet and predominantly the smaller the foot the more attractive. Found in Occidental and oriental society and throughout history. No one knows why this is but there are many theories.

Cameron

7. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Sex differences in relative foot length and perceived attractiveness of female feet: relationships among anthropometry, physique, and preference ratings.
    Voracek M, Fisher ML, Rupp B, Lucas D, Fessler DM.
    Percept Mot Skills. 2007 Jun;104(3 Pt 2):1123-38.

8. jb

jb Active Member

My grandfather used to make a lovely comment:
    "Women's feet are smaller so they can get closer to the sink"

One would think that today, women would prefer their feet to fit snugly into a pair of pumps whilst still being sizable enough to adequately depreciate the groin region of archaic elderly gentlemen.

God bless you, Pop!

9. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

I second Felicity!!

Could be that I'm biased....size 10.5 here.