Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Chronic sesamoiditis

Discussion in 'Foot Health Forum' started by hauckpod, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hauckpod

hauckpod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a 33 year old construction worker with chronic right foot sesamoiditis. He had his right knee scoped "a number of years ago", has knee pain, 1st step pain and more particularly, plantar right 1st met head pain. His foot type is cavus, there is a positive anterior drawer test on the right lateral ankle, a 7 degree forefoot valgus with neutral rearfoot. Orthotics were made with minimum arch fill, 2 degree rearfoot varus with the forefoot balanced. An additional 1st met shaft pad was added to offload the 1st. He has had a cortisone injection, physiotherapy, massage. X-rays are unremarkable from all views, ultrasound was also unremarkable for soft tissue, although there is diffuse swelling over and around the joint plantarly. I have taped his foot very tight to offload, he has used topical anti-inflammatories, all to no avail.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

2. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Which sesamoid?
    Did you view the xrays personally? If not I would take a look. Radiologists are not into the "finer" points of evaluating sesamoids.

Anterior drawer sign? Really? (although I do not quite know what you are referring to by "positive...... lateral ankle"

This means he has a rupture of at least his ATF ligament.

---------------------------

My treatments for Chronic sesamoiditis are, in order:

Assess activity that may be causative factor; Biomechanical and or off load; Injections: PT: Excision.
    If the first ray is rigidly plantarflexed you may need one of several types of dorsal wedge osteotomies.

Good luck

Steve

3. hauckpod

hauckpod Member

Yes viewed the xrays. His complaint is with the tibial sesamoid. The only view not taken was axial. He had a severe inversion injury playing football so the ATF was ruptured causing his lateral ankle instability.

4. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Can I just ask if any other areas were painful on palpation- especially FHB, Ab Hal, 1st IM space and around dorsal cuboid joints?

5. hauckpod

hauckpod Member

Nothing remarkable, however is compensating by inverting and increasing lateral pressure. No real pain noted or suggested.

6. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Thanks Hauckpod- bang goes that idea!

7. hauckpod

hauckpod Member

Has pain on hallux extension but only in the medial sesamoid region. Plantar flexed and swollen with full RoM.