Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

NHS tells veteran 'get a neighbour to cut your toenails'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by admin, Nov 10, 2004.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Full story from This is Local London

2. bob

bob Active Member

Didn't someone do a study on education of patients for self treatment including advice on using a nail file? (It was either an NHS dept in Sheffield or London, I think) Perhaps this may have been a more appropriate suggestion for the people concerned. Having said that, it could be that such things were omitted from the press report to sensationalise the story.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

I think the study was carried out in Sheffield. I did read that part which was published in Pod Now, and was unimpressed.
    I believe the study was biased (ie, driven by what the researcher hoped to find, which fitted in nicely with NHS policy in that District).

If a patient has arthritis in spine and hands, and spouse has arthritis too, how can they cope with just a nailfile anyway?
    And why, if there are private practices around, are we not simply looking at devolving NHS work into PP's :confused: ?

Regards,
    David

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Nothing like the truth toget in the way of a good story :)

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

A follow up to the original story of this thread has appeared
    Cutting toenails can save lives
    Full story

6. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Nail Cutting.

Hi All,
    Just been told last week that nurses in my local hospital, (A very large new one!), are receiving training if they show willing in nail cutting. After all that is what they used to do before 1960 didn't they!

It takes three weeks for a chiropodist to attend to patient's in this hospital's Wards, (I believe they will not attend before three weeks are up even regarding diabetes, but I have taken that one with a pinch of salt?).

There has also been a whisper that Age Concern are also considering doing this but I have not been able to confirm this yet?

Normal podiatry services appear to have reached four month visits in this hospital's Outpatients Dept. which is far to long for most of mine to wait. Long may it continue, but it's not so good for the patients?

Regards,

Colin.

7. George Brandy

George Brandy Active Member

This is a subject that gets my goat totally.

Who is responsible for cutting the toe nails of those that cannot plus those that are at risk.

My parents are lucky. They have me. Dad is 84 mum is 74, both with dodgy toe nails but thankfully otherwise OK. Not high risk...although dad did serve with the 84th Armoured Division. He kept the division on the road and repaired my very 1st car.

So what is the cost of all the flowers, chocolates, drawer liners, pot pourri, socks, novelty presents at Christmas and birthdays?

SOCAP invented gift vouchers all those years ago.

Re-invent and market them at your practice. Flowers 2times annually = what £80?? Need I say more.

I thought my Gran was totally bonkers when she asked me for tin foil and batteries as a Christmas present a long time ago when I was 16. She had a Chiropodist. They shared a nail cut and a gin and tonic monthly on a Friday evening. I haven't a clue what he charged but it was pence or pennies.

Many years later, bless you Doris, at long last I understand your motivation.

Whatever generation we belong to; whatever our age and whatever our health we and our families have to take responsibility for welfare. Never have we been richer. Gran had her priorities right-we had to buy her batteries and tin foil. Her hard earned brass was going on her 15 minute nail cut and foot massage. She supplied the gin and tonic. Her Chiropodist knew to fit her in last for a good gossip and a homeward glow. Gran was high risk. Full to the gills with steroids and it wasn't her toe-nails or gin that saw her to the world beyond.

There are ways and means to look after toe-nails. It is up to us to invent those ways and means. Market them professionally, safely and bring those family members that care on side with us.

George B.

8. petethe feet

petethe feet Member

I have tried vouchers, I have even given then as 'raffle prizes' to encourage the use of them, but to no avail. The only people who buy them are family, but usually most of them live miles away - and 'voucher presents' are not a last minute buy, if you have to post a cheque to the podiatrist and wait for the return post. ???