Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Plantar foot shape, choice of running shoes and injury prevention

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Apr 25, 2009.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Injury Reduction Effectiveness of Selecting Running Shoes Based on Plantar Shape.
    Knapik JJ, Swedler DI, Grier TL, Hauret KG, Bullock SH, Williams KW, Darakjy SS, Lester ME, Tobler SK, Jones BH.
    J Strength Cond Res. 2009 Apr 20. [Epub ahead of print]

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

About time that this "wet footprint" myth got properly debunked, but the question will be "When will the lay running press stop promoting it?"

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi DaVinci,

I'm with you on this one. Sadly I suspect the answer is 'never'. I was recently asked to write a piece for a new running trainer website, and when I submitted the first draft I was contacted within a few days to ask why I had omitted key points such as the 'wet foot test', which shoe was best for an 'overpronator' etc etc as these were required for the site.

I tried discussing/arguing the point with regard to newer terminology/research but the bottom line is that they simply want everything to be put in a nice neat box. Maybe its a political/financial thing or maybe they just don't like the uncertainty that we don't know all the answers to all the questions. I don't ever see it changing, but really hope I'm wrong on that one.

Ian

4. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

I think it is something that is very embedded, and running shoe makers have a lot behind it, if not financially then just by the training they've given to retailers. It takes a lot to turn round and say all that stuff we've been telling you is just wrong.

I spoke to retailer a year or so ago who proudly showed me a colour changing board that people would stand on to produce a footprint. This was branded with one of the major manufacturers.

5. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

never say never fellas! At least one major manufacturer is working on eradicating this embarrassing form of "analysis" as we speak. It has been a thorn in my side for a long time, and a major flaw in the desire to be able to match foot type to what presumably is a quite technical shoe.
    Watch this space, and hopefully you will never have to read about the wet foot on the brown paper bag again.

cheers
    Simon

6. Dean Sargeant

Dean Sargeant Welcome New Poster

First post so don't be too harsh!!! It is unfortunate that the wider population don't have the understanding that we do of the foot mechanics. Ask the local person on the street not even half of people could tell you what pronation is (or even if they have ever heard of it!!!). The wider population rely on the sales person to recommend the right shoe for them, I have been involved with a company that uses a board that reacts to the heat the foot produces to give a footprint. Knowing what i do, i found it amazing that people would buy shoes from a static assessment when the aim of a shoe is for dynamic use. This board was pushed by both the shoes company then by the distributer as an accurate way to fit people into the right shoe. But until the education reaches the masses it's easy money for the footwear companies!!! Great to see the efficacy of these foot type measures tested too!!!

7. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Dean,

I tend to find the problem is just the opposite - most people have heard of it and think they can tell you what it is. The trouble is the information they have read or been given is absolute toilet. Its the myths surrounding pronation (its always pathological, 'overpronation/hyperpronation' etc etc) are the things I'd love the general public to see for what they are. Save me explaining it every 5 minutes...

Ian

8. Bartold!!

About time you showed up to say something every now and then. Good to see you are still alive!

9. chrisdel

chrisdel Member

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks a wet footprint is useless in choosing a suitable running shoe. My question is; what should I be looking for? I'm a marathon runner and a podiatrist in a busy sports injury practice and spend a lot of time watching runners either on the ground or on a treadmill. I'd really like to know which criteria other podiatrists are using for choosing the correct shoe.

Chris

10. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Validity of Plantar Surface Visual Assessment as an Estimate of Foot Arch Height.
    Swedler DI, Knapik JJ, Grier T, Jones BH.
    Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]