Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Efficacy of face masks

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by davidjohnconley, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hullo world, would anyone know of any articles on the efficacy of face masks. Surgical face masks were designed to protect patient from clinician. However, as we (pods) need the opposite (nail dust), any ideas, thanks

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

3. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Interesting link (& horrific study results!)

I'm actually interested to hear how many Pods wear surgical face masks for:
    1 - only when using drill (burr or mandrill)
    2 - all general treatments
    3 - some general treatments
    4 - not often.
    5 - when washing instruments

and industrial facemasks when grinding orthoses or using glue?

If you wear a mask for some but not all aspects of treatment, what is your motivating factor to put one on?

Are there any OH&S recommendations regarding face masks & Pods?

4. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

Buy yourself a HEPA filter for your room, in Aus only about $200 for Sunbeam brand unit and $50ish for a filter every few months, takes out particles down to 0.3 micron.
    Helps a lot
    Regards Phill

5. jane.e.benson

jane.e.benson Active Member

I have been a podiatrist for 20 years , and until recently never wore a mask (uncomfortable and steamed up my glasses) then this summer I developed a cough, couldn't decide whether it was the pre-op spray or the podospray electric file. Decided nature was warning me (hey, we've all known about nail dust damage) so have now got used to wearing mask and goggles when using the podospray. I don't use a spray pre-op any more.Hope this helps. Jane .

6. Bill

Bill Welcome New Poster

If face masks aren't that effective and the use of drills seems to create the most dust why are people still using drills? We stopped using them years ago due to concerns over our own health. None of our patients seem to have suffered as a result of this (ie no increase in subungual ulceration or any of the potential detrimental effects of chauxic nails. Patient comfort seems to be fine also)

7. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

When we do use the nail drill (much less ofeten now than before) we use a 3M Respirator, that is really just a specific dust mask.

8. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

The problem does not stop when you turn off the drill, the finer sub micron particles do not readily settle and will circulate in the air of your room all day....these are the ones that are more danger to your lungs...which is why I use a room filter also.
    Regards Phill

9. Graeme Franklin

Graeme Franklin Active Member

Hi,

I wouldn't think anyone is happy about nail dust and their noxious effects on the eyes and lungs, but what to do?
    I know using a drill to reduce nails is not mandatory but even using a diamond deb is hardly conducive to good health either as this method still produces a lot of nail dust; larger size particles admittedly but tell that to your corneas! Personally I'm using the (vacuum) drill less and less nowadays, and where possible use the shaver-type burrs as they produce less heat and larger particles.
    I'm not overly happy with the spray-type drills either as the spray goes everywhere. OK, they are nice to finish off a small corn, but you still have to contend with the aerosols, and I'm not sure a HEPA filter works for these.
    Perhaps I should do what the miners did 100 years ago and employ a canary to tell me when enough is enough. Or would that be cruel?

Cheers,
    Graeme