Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Shock absorbing wound dressings?

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by podomania, Sep 6, 2006.

1. podomania

podomania Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anybody know of any type of dressings that have shock absorbing properties :confused: ? Could somebody state that allevyn has them apart from the exudate abdorbing properties?
    If there any, could you also please state tha company that produces them?
    Many thanks

2. trudi powell

trudi powell Active Member

Allevyn does work quite well, as it is a thick / bulky dressing. But do you want a dressing for an old patient or an athletic patient ??

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

podomania

Technically any solid which contains a gas or fluid within its structure will prevent pressures from passing through the medium. So all the new synthetic visco-elastic gels could be classed as shock attenuating compounds. Similarly foams will offer some cushioning by absorbtion. In both cases the modulus of compression will be low however and shock attenuation properties more technical than practical, I would hassard.

Cameron
    Hety, what do I know?

4. trudi powell

trudi powell Active Member

Sorry Cameron...but how about explaining it to him with ESL ( English as a Second Language )?!

5. podomania

podomania Active Member

thanks very much...and don't worry my english is good as i studied in the uk

6. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

trudi

>Sorry Cameron...but how about explaining it to him with ESL ( English as a Second Language )?!

>Technically any solid which contains a gas or fluid within its structure will prevent pressures from passing through the medium.

Laws which govern basic physics

>So all the new synthetic visco-elastic gels could be classed as shock attenuating compounds.

>visco-elastics
    Man made polymers which include gas and or fluids within a solid substence eg siliconised gels Spin off from the space age.

>shock attenuating compounds
    reduce (dampen) peak impact by a process known as isotactic effect.

>Similarly foams will offer some cushioning by absorbtion.

This is sometimes described as an isobaric effect. The same thing is seen in the behaviour of open and closed cell matierials.

>modulus of compression

Scientific term to describe the physical resistance within a material to avoid compression.

>shock attenuation properties are more technical than practical, I would hassard.

I think the pressure absorbing properties of ulcer dressings are limited value

Cameron

7. solanki

solanki Welcome New Poster

Prad

Hi
    No dressing itself would offer any form of pressure relief especailly on a weight bearing area.
    It is always worth considering what the secondary dressing is, as this will help decide what some of the options are for the primary dressing.
    Hope this is of help
    Prad Solanki

8. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

Hi,

As a secondary dressing, I always use Biatain foam before any other foam as it seems to have the best mechanical loading properties (including torsional and frictional stresses), although I would agree that pressure-relief, as such, is best done in combination with more traditional methods such as total contact casting, aircast boots or orthoses.

You can get more info on Biatain from Coloplast, which you should be able to find on the net!

9. Sheridan

Sheridan Member

Wound dressings

I have also found Biatain as the best alternate to Allevyn when used as a secondary dressing. Both dressings some what will provide some shock absorbance and pressure redistribution but if applied to a major weightbearing structure like the 1st MPJ then both dressings would pretty much compress down to nothing.

You could contact your local Smith & Nephew Rep and see if any studies have been performed or they know about this issue. I would assume that not many if any studies have been performed in this area due to the cost of the products.

I think if you are looking at a moderate to long term pressure redistribution you should stick to conventional methods such as padding or accommodative orthotics, usually in a post op shoe.

10. robby

robby Active Member

Sue Barnett in the UK has done some work on this and has actually shown that rather than acting to reduce vertical forces, (which I guess is what you are after) these dressings increase the pressure.

For any UK Pods going to the London Diabetic Foot Conf she is presenting on this next week.