Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

F-Scan question

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by nzfran, Mar 16, 2015.

1. nzfran

nzfran Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I need help!! I took some data from F-Scan and exported it into Excel. I has given me the force in (N) over the time taken for the walking trials. I want to find out the peak pressures (kPa) for each step from this data. I know that p=f/a. The data I got was of a masked area under the hallux and 1st MTPJ which was the area of interest. My question is how can I now work out the pressure - should I divide the force by the area that I masked?

2. efuller

efuller MVP

It's been a while since I used an F-scan. Can't they also give you peak pressure versus time?

I'm going to assume that the F-scan calculated the force - time data, for the masked area, by adding all the force from each individual sensel. Force = P x area. So if you calculated from force back to pressure again, you would be getting an average pressure for the masked area and not the peak pressure within the masked area. This still may be good enough to answer your research question. However, if you did not find a significant difference in pressure you should wonder if it would have been significant if you had the individual sensel pressure measurements.

You could contact F-scan and see if they can help you to extract info from the raw data. When I last used the F-scan there was a choice of output and one of he outputs was raw data.

Are you using a bladder to calibrate the sensors?

Eric

3. nzfran

nzfran Member

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your help. Yes, F-Scan gave me the force - time data of the masked area. The problem is I did not measure the masked area. I suppose I could work out the area as I know the number of cells loaded and the sensor area? I have that info in excel. It can give you peak pressure vs. time, but the data I got was force -time. I don't have access to the F-Scan right now to get that data so this is what I have to work with.

I did not use a bladder to calibrate the sensors, I just used the step method, stand on one foot then the other as per the instructions on the F-Scan software. It does not seem a very effective way of calibration. When I looked back at each walking trial a different number of sensors had been loaded and the saturation pressures were different.

I do have the raw data, I could contact F-Scan to extract that info, I might not need to now.

Oh the pitfalls of collecting data...

4. nzfran

nzfran Member

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your help. Yes, F-Scan gave me the force - time data of the masked area. I suppose I could work out the area as I know the number of cells loaded and the sensor area? I have that info in excel. It can give you peak pressure vs. time, but the data I got was force -time. I don't have access to the F-Scan right now to get that data so this is what I have to work with.

I did not use a bladder to calibrate the sensors, I just used the step method, stand on one foot then the other as per the instructions on the F-Scan software. It does not seem a very effective way of calibration. When I looked back at each walking trial a different number of sensors had been loaded and the saturation pressures were different.

I do have the raw data, I could contact F-Scan to extract that info, I might not need to now.

Oh the pitfalls of collecting data...