Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The maximalist Hoka One One's now probably outsell the entire minimalist running shoe category

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    There are only a couple in Vic that stock them; there will soon be a lot more. A lot of sales are online and they exhibit/sell at a lot of running events around the country.

On my runs; I see 2-3x more Hoka's than i see minimalist shoes.

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

We place a spring order with them, so l have been doing a lot of looking around to see who and for how much they have been selling for.

See how we go?

3. Fleet Feet, here in Sacramento, has been carrying Hoka shoes now for over three years and can barely keep them in stock. They no longer carry Vibram FiveFinger shoes.

This fact brings on a big smile since runners and running shoe stores are doing the exact opposite of what the likes of Dan Lieberman, Blaise DuBoise, Nick Campitelli, Mark Cucazella and, or course, my favorite, Christopher McDougall have been attempting to promote and push onto runners over the past five years.

Barefoot running and "minimalist shoes" are all dying away and maximalist shoes are becoming wildly popular. Maybe, they will even start calling "minimalist shoes" just racing flats again?! It all just warms the cockles of my heart!

4. Mongrel19

Mongrel19 Welcome New Poster

Kevin - you remember the Nike Huarachi's from yore. Just proves that hang around long enough, things run in cycles =]

Being a clydesdale (208#) coming off of a low calf strain and just back running the last two weeks after 7-8 weeks off, thought I'd try the Hoka One Ones. We run on crushed limestone trails primarily and I'm just now feeling good again during and after a run. Absolutely love the shoes so far. Have been running in the Brooks Ghost in its various incarnations (will continue to use these on occasion) for years, but really like the lightness and ride of the Hoka shoes.

With any luck, the calf issue will remain at bay and can continue to increase the mileage, and get back to tennis...

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I know we don't really like testimonials and anecdotes, but just caught this comment from a runner in a facebook group:
    Its pretty typical of feedback I getting from retailers and runners on the Hoka's.

6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  7. NewsBot

Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The Hoka One One Clifton is about to be given the Australian Runners World magazine Editors Choice Award! See attached

Attached Files:

9. NewsBot

Articles:

10. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

he lost me at Newton

11. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

and I wish people would stop calling it the 1 1.. that is not its name!!

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    agreed; that is not how you are supposed to pronounce it; BUT if you look at this video below from the company they do pronounce it 1 1

13. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Yep, its almost as bad as people using the term "Drop" instead the correct term "Heel pitch":rolleyes:

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    2015 Ultra and Trail Running Predictions

15. NewsBot

Articles:
  16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Hoka One One Huaka Named Best New Shoe in Running Network, LLC 2014 Fall Shoe Review

17. NewsBot

Articles:
  18. NewsBot

Articles:
  19. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I gotta get me a pair of these! They now have a hiking shoe/boot!

Attached Files:

20. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Nice looking boot and much lighter than other boots. I like the vibram sole laminated to the thick EVA midsole to provide much more durability. This boot may be great for people working on their feet all day on concrete.

Steven

21. Steven:

I agree. Maybe I'll try them on some of my patients once they are being sold here.

22. NewsBot

Articles:
  23. NewsBot

Articles:
  24. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I posted the above over a year ago. I did get something wrong. The analysts were somewhat wrong in what they though the Hoka's were doing - they did even better than predicted!

From an report on Deckers Q1:
    http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/176523/deckers-q4-earnings-top-estimates-projects-wider-q1-loss

25. Mongrel19

Mongrel19 Welcome New Poster

Here in our office we're recommending patients get two different shoes for training - Hokas and a neutral shoe of their choice - and train in both concurrently. Drawing on what we learned in Calgary last summer, this will reduce overuse injury risk. So far, so good...

26. NewsBot

Articles:
  27. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Interesting snippets from the Decker Q1 reports (Decker own the Hoka's)
    Hat tip:
    http://www.sportsonesource.com/news/fbu/fbu_article.asp?section=4&Prod=5&id=61236

28. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    A year later... posted this on FB:
    "Hoka sales up 34.4% in the Q that ended Sept 31. Unusual for any brand to show that much increase or decrease in a Q. The only other time I recall anything >30% was the decline in the minimalist category of 31% in the month June 2014 (1/3rd of a Q!).
    Decker was trying to offload the brand but now keeping it as their best performing brand ... so much for being dismissed as clown shoes... top shoe at Kona... they on a roll."

and in response to be called a Hoka fan boy:
    " I would not necessarily say I am a ‘fan boy’; they are just one of several shoes I run in when I run. I am, however, fascinated by the brand story. They hit the market at the peak of the minimalist/barefoot fad where they got widely laughed at and ridiculed. The barefoot/minimalist fad was driven by zillions of evangelists, websites devoted to it, plenty of books on it, huge social media traction etc etc – lots of ‘forces’ driving it. Nothing was driving the Hoka’s (no evangelists, websites or books, no huge social media presence etc on Hokas or maximalism). Yet minimalism/barefoot failed (now only 0.3% of running shoe market) and the Hoka became a dominant brand. All that was driving the Hoka’s was runners trying them and liking them … runners voted with their feet."

29. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ...and up 60% in the last 12 months in Australia.