Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Hypersensitivity to light touch

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Tindallpod, May 1, 2012.

1. Tindallpod

Tindallpod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear all,

I would value any advice on a 75 year old female patient of a multi disciplinary colleague. I saw her quickly and without detailed notes or availability to much diagnostic equipment came up with the following:

Complaint: Over-sensitive left foot distal to the cuneiforms, mostly on the plantar surface. Firm touch is fine. Patient wears a sandal in bed because the light touch of the bed sheet is too painful.

Onset: Claims it came on after an injection by a general practitioner who also held an osteopathic qualification. She claimed the injection was a scelosing injection to lay down extra tissue/scar tissue because of back pain, necessary due to being 'over manipulated' for the back pain and being 'too loose'. She said the injection had 3 aspects/intentions: a local anaesthetic, carbolic acid and to build up scar tissue. I have no way of veryfying any of this. She thinks it was at L6. This was in 1982 and the foot pain began then. The initial pain started between the L3rd and 4th met heads but is not a Morten's neuroma - many of us have tested for that!
    10 years after that, she began to have the same symptoms in her right foot but so far not nearly so severe.

Findings: confusion on sharp/blunt sensation in the distal half of the most affceted foot. The pain is not a shooting pain (-ve slump test), not a tingling and not a burning pain.

The only thing that relieves this is when the foot is cooled (although not a 'hot pain').

As far as I can think, whatever happend in the spine area seems to have affected the foot but I don't know exactly what or, key to her, what to do about it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Tindall