Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

DPM conversion to MD??

Discussion in 'USA' started by PMSII, Jul 3, 2006.

1. PMSII

PMSII Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I subscribe to Barry Block's PM news and receive daily newsletters by email as Im sure some of you do also. Recently if you recall there has been some discussion about pushing for a conversion of the DPM degree to MD in order to become "equal" in the eyes of modern medicine. I was suprised to see so many respondants, including Dr. Weil Sr., who are pro-conversion of our degree. While I feel very passionate about my opposition to this idea, I lack much knowledge of the "real world" and cannot relate to the current struggles that the profession faces because I am only a student. So it is difficult for me to hold a voice on the subject. I was however disappointed that not one respondant in the last weeks of PM news was against the change. My question for all of you is this, since Barry Block is also pro-conversion, has he been partial to only allow the write-ins of those who share the same sentiments as he in the newsletter? Or is this a pretty good representation of the profession as a whole? If I wanted to be an MD/DO I would have gone that route. Its frustrating to me to see this. I think we should work more to standardize education and scope rather than just change our degree. Thoughts?

2. Dan O'Lysis

Dan O'Lysis Member

Dee Pee Emm

Wow its like somone put a soldering iron to my face. For years it was a shame, an humiliation to tell someone you were a retired PODIATRIST- no more- my little frieds from Ernieville-losers as yo might be-after a pair of decades try to get alicense as a PODO - won't happen wihout a residencey of 3 or so years- we old chiro podists have paved the streets with the expensive bricks. Wanna scribe MD or uggh DO after your an name... DPM DO. Wow is that rdundant, DPM DO? Think about it - that youthful ego seeking some validation of a student loan or some job other than the cadddy shack.

I am in a state where DPMs can work up to the hip and they hip hop past the knee to do piriformis syndrome and pectineal incections along with vein carae and all the crap the DPM school's said onnly RD (real doctor's) can do.

Why change a degree that will only increase in value as a unique specialty - look at that woman in NY the foot plastic surgeon- very cool.

My colleagues-many times I was ashamed of the the DPM scar-a failure a secondary choice-Jeez who dreamed of being a Pod when you were in college? But then again who went to college before PM school? Fegettia boutit.

I DO have an MD degree - I am retired and don't give a crap but the way things look I can happily go back to doing podiatry only because it is was and will always be fun.

Screw the DPM MD DO crap WE IS WHAT WE IS

3. Dan O'Lysis

Dan O'Lysis Member

Its been over 40 years and nobody but for nobody knows what DPM stans for.

Mystery degrees

I know thre are some "super pods" with web sites and all and want to change the degree...do you? Jeepers I wanna be a PCP and have a NP or PA defer the hard questions to John Doe DO ...

We are D P M s we paid for it...

Deliqent Plastered Moo cow
    Dumb Pee Man
    Dopey Poo Man
    Diligent Professional Mancow
    Doesn't Practice Medicine
    Dick Protecor Man
    Doctor of Plant Management
    Doody partitoner of Mungue