Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Queensland floods

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    1st day back from OZ xmas break, had been watching the flood reports on the TV.

Seems in the last 2 days things have got much,much worse with Brisbane rivers now breaking their banks and inland tsunamis being reported.

Hope all and their loved ones ok.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just watching the broadcasts as I write this; 9 dead and 66 missing...so far ....and the worst is on the way. One river was exected to flood by a height of 22 meters!

An area the size of Europe is probably underwater!

LuckyLisfranc is in the middle of it --- perhaps he can update if the internet is still working where he his.

There are a lot of podiatrists who will have clinics in the towns that are going underwater.

Wikipedia have some info:

2010–2011 Queensland floods

A series of floods hit Queensland, Australia, beginning in November 2010. The floods forced the evacuation of thousands of people from towns and cities.[2] At least 90 towns and over 200,000 people were affected.[2] Damage initially was estimated at A$1 billion[3] before it was raised to $2.38 billion.[1] The estimated reduction in Australia's GDP is about A$30 billion.[4] As of March 2012, there were 33 deaths attributed to the floods, with a further three people still missing.[5]

Three-quarters of the council areas within the state of Queensland were declared disaster zones.[6] Communities along the Fitzroy and Burnett Rivers were particularly hard hit, while the Condamine, Ballone, and Mary Rivers recorded substantial flooding. An unexpected flash flood caused by a thunderstorm raced through Toowoomba's central business district. Rainfall from the same storm devastated communities in the Lockyer Valley. A few days later, thousands of houses in Ipswich and Brisbane were inundated as the Brisbane River rose and Wivenhoe Dam used a considerable proportion of its flood mitigation capacity. Volunteers were quick to offer assistance, and sympathy was expressed from afar. A large mobilisation of the Australian Defence Force was activated and a relief fund created. The head of the recovery taskforce was Major General Michael Slater. The Queensland Reconstruction Authority (CEO was Graeme Newton) was formed to coordinate the rebuilding program beyond the initial task force, and a Commission of Inquiry was established to investigate all matters related to the floods.

The state's coal industry was particularly hard hit. The Queensland floods were followed by the 2011 Victorian floods which saw more than fifty communities in western and central Victoria also grapple with significant flooding.

On 26 February 2021 the result of legal action, started in 2014 and won in 2019, was a partial settlement of A$440 million in compensation for thousands of flood victims, from the Queensland government and SunWater. The remaining $440 million is owed by State-owned dam operator Seqwater who is appealing the decision for which a hearing is scheduled for May. The appeal was successful.

1. ^ a b Delana Carbone; Jenna Hanson (29 January 2013). "Floods: 10 of the deadliest in Australian history". Australian Geographic. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
    2. ^ a b Cite error: The named reference BBC2010-12-31 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    3. ^ Cite error: The named reference BBC2010-12-29 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    4. ^ Cite error: The named reference ABC30 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    5. ^ "Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry Final Report" (PDF). March 2012. pp. 386–389. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
    6. ^ Cite error: The named reference Hurst2011-01-11 was invoked but never defined (see the help page).

3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

The Queensland floods would be on the same scale as Hurricane Katrina http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina (but hopefully with far less fatalities). As and when the waters clear the lower lying areas nearer the sea are bracing for flash floods. Absolutely horrendous.

The heavy rain is due to move south through Victoria to Tasmania. Floods are predicted.

Information of the Flood Relief Appeal is passed on, in good faith
    http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/

toeslayer

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Any word of colleagues in the area?

Bill

6. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well wishes.

There are many, many podiatrists in Brisbane, Toowoomba, Ipswich, Rockhampton, Gympie and elsewhere known to me and many of the members of Podiatry Arena who will be seriously affected, either personally or professionally.

I am hopeful my practice will be safe, and we are lucky to live on high ground though in a flood affected riverside suburb. I have 2 family members staying with us who we evacuated today.

Unfortunately the devastation in Brisbane will not actually begin until tomorrow, and will peak on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Our state association offices are at Toowong, and I have some fears about how they may go. I know one colleague who is likely to be fully flooded by tomorrow.

Bear in mind, that dozens of our colleagues could be seriously affected, and their livlihoods destroyed.

I am sure once this disaster is over, our association may be grateful to receive any donations (eg surplus medical supplies, old unused equipment) to get people back on their feet.

Lets see how the next 48 hours goes here in Brisbane.

LL

7. Good luck LL. I wonder whether it would be possible for Craig to set up some form of benevolent fund through Arena so colleagues worldwide may donate to help those affected in the stricken areas?

8. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks LL. Can you let us know who does get affected if you hear anything.
    I will wait and see what the Council and Association are doing.

9. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

:eek: Our hearts go out. Good Luck to them!

10. Thanks Craig.

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    APODC RESPONDS TO FLOOD CRISIS

12. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Congratulations to APodC for this - the decision to assist all Podiatrists in the areas stricken by the floods is a great initiative, not to mention the invaluable and often limb/life saving services they provide to their communities.

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I am running a Boot Camp in Brisbance in March, so imagine my surprise (and how impressed I was), that I just got a registration from a Podiatrist in Toowoomba ... right in the middle of the flood affected area!! I would have thought that they would have had some other priorities at the moment ... maybe there is something in the water!

14. barry hawes

barry hawes Active Member

Hi all,

Would just like to thank the Australasian Podiatry Council, and member associations, for their support in initiating this fund. It will be of considerable comfort to Queensland podiatrists to know that their interstate colleagues are supporting them in this way. There have been so many of the populated regions of our state affected that I would imagine that there would be very few of our members who have not been affected, either directly or indirectly, in their professional or personal lives.

With thanks to all for supportive comments,

Barry Hawes,

President,
    Australian Podiatry Association (Qld)

15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just caught a neat story on the news. There was a lady in Kinglake who lost her house and everything in the Victorian bushfires 2 years ago. She was given a caravan that was full of donations to live in. She is now living in a temporary house and has no need for the caravan. She has filled the caravan with donations of goods from people in the area affected by the bushfires and is now driving up to Queensland to give them the caravan and the donations!

16. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

As an ex-QLDer, the footage and phone calls to home regularly are heartbreaking.

Thinking of you all. Stay safe and hope we can support materially and financially where possible.

17. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Now thats is a neat story Craig, l hope there will be more like it.

l havent been able to get through on the mobile to one college, a recording on the phone system is "...congested please try later"

18. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Update.

The worst has now passed. Now its the mess to clear up. Raw sewage is contaminating floodwaters, and they will take days to reduce so that people can get back into their damaged homes and assess the situation. I am certain there will be significant arboviral outbreaks as mosquitoes take off and Ross River Virus gets spread around.

My wife's cousin has had her whole suburb go underwater, and amazingly her house is one of just a couple untouched. So too with our receptionist.

Not sure how many colleagues have been affected, but my suspicion is that regional colleagues will be far worse off than those in Brisbane.

This will take many months to get over. And I suspect those podiatrists who have not been affected by overt damage will still see significant financial challenges as the region and the state tries to recover.

I might re-train as an electrician!

LL

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    APodC – Flood Relief Programme

20. Stephanie C

Stephanie C Member

Hi All. Thanks for your thoughts. I have a flooded basement / orthotic lab but I'd pulled all the expensive gear out. I'd bonded marine board across my (river front) clinic at Hamilton with great bands of construction adhesive. Kept the water out ! Getting them off is another question..... In my travels I have been past the pods on Racecourse rd Hamilton and Breakfast Creek at Albion and they both looked ok. I have a spare clinic room and tools if anyone is out of their clinic on the northside. Let me know if it is needed. (Your patients may need to be able to vault 1.2 m to get over the barricades if they prove stubborn...... :)

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    I am getting a DNS error on the APodC website. Anyone else seeing that?

22. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

No delete your cache and refresh the page :)

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    The ABC are reporting:
    Rudd treated for infection from floodwater
    Full story