Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Transitioning to Minimalist Running Shoes

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Here is a pretty reasonable and sensible approach:

Shame that he ruins it by talking about the "tripod" model of the foot and the anterior transverse metatarsal arch, that all the evidence says is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/2011/02/09/vivo-aqua-shoes-have-ruined-my-life/

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

8. Griff

Griff Moderator

Transitioning to minimalist/barefoot running you say? There's an app for that...

Linky

On a similar note, I've just been given a free pair of 'barefoot shoes' by a certain company (not Merrell). A proposal was put to the company that I would transition my Mrs to minimalist running in their shoes, and then write a review about the whole journey, from her point as the "runner", and from mine as the "boyfriend who is a podiatrist and likes writing articles". I made it clear the review would be honest, (whether that be positive or negative), and would not amount to an advert. To their credit they accepted the proposal and shipped us out a pair.

My Mrs is actually quite excited about it all. I just hope that if it goes well she doesn't create a blog and ask me to start calling her Barefoot Victoria...

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I downloading the app now! Merrell are very heavily promoting the barefoot concept.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Podiatrist Against Pronation

'we've been preaching against pronation for years'

Dr Marybeth Crane - Sports Pod. at min 1.28

She makes 400 orthotics a month. On a 4 week cycle 5 days a week that is 20 a day! and she has time to train for Ironman - as well as give these enlightening lectures. Amazing women

11. rikmellor

rikmellor Member

I have a problem with Dr Crane's comments about 'deep squats'. "In most Asian cultures, this is how they eat; that's why they have those little tables" Part 2, 2.44. She manages to patronise East Asians at the same time as not making a rationale for the squat?

"Try it at home, it really is funny" isn't at all helpful.

It finishes on a high too: "There's more nonsense on my website..." - this isn't the best summary to leave an audience with.

This is a shame from someone who says they were "named one of the most influential podiatrists in the country by Podiatry Management Magazine in September 2006 and recently again in 2011"
    http://www.myrundoc.com/about.aspx

It's not influencing me in the way I would hope.