Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Characteristics of an 'effective' tackle outcome in rugby

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by NewsBot, Feb 20, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Characteristics of an 'effective' tackle outcome in Six Nations rugby.
    van Rooyen M, Yasin N, Viljoen W.
    Eur J Sport Sci. 2014 Mar;14(2):123-9.

2. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

These results are ridiculous. We all know 6 nation teams can't tackle at all. Results would have been far better if they were performed on Southern Hemisphere teams.

3. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Sadly Dek, the results of the last 2 world cups would question your meta analysis (despite SA). "Statistics for Biologists" Webb N & Blackmore R. Cambridge University Press(10 Stamford Road, Melbourne) is simple enough for even a dyed in the wool, blind and deaf Australian rugby fan to understand! ie. Australia can't play rugby.

Cheers

Pommie Bastard Bill

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Scrum injury risk in English professional rugby union
    Aileen E Taylor, Simon Kemp, Grant Trewartha, Keith A Stokes
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2013-092873

5. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

That's why I was careful to write Southern Hemisphere teams, not Australia alone. I am not silly. Always happy to ride on the coat tails of SA and NZ, who play entertaining rugby, which the wallabies do, sometimes.
    I do hope they can fix the scrum in all facets - stability, competitive, injury.

6. MBrooksbank

MBrooksbank Member

I would personally love to see Australia RL play 'rugby' against 6 nations etc.

7. W J Liggins

Then you would have to include British rugby league players. It's a different game.

Just out of interest, which is most popular in Oz and how do they both sit with Aussie Rules Football? Since the union game became professional in the UK, many people thought that League would founder, but it's still popular 'oop north'. The girlie game of soccer (in which I have no interest) is still the most popular by far in the UK, and one Wayne Rooney has just been signed by Manchester United on a five year deal at £300,000 - yes you did read correctly, £300,000 a week!

Pommie Bastard Bill

8. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

If I am objective, then Aussie rules is the most popular around the country. Vic, SA, WA, Tas & NT are all pretty much dominated by AFL. Rugby league has a huge NSW and QLD following and small Vic following. Rugby has, I would say mid level support a bit more evenly distributed through qld, nsw, Vic, ACT, and WA. As for soccer it is similar to rugby but probably if I am honest, has a bit more support again nation wide.
    I don't think soccer, which is rising in oz, will ever overtake AFL due to AFL's speed and high scoring. It should also be noted that these codes vary in their support level depending largely on how the national team is doing. Socceroos do well - everyone is a soccer expert and follows a team. Same with rugby. It is interesting in Vic, NSW, QLD where there are multiple codes vying for support. You had better hope your team is winning, because there is likely another sport 10 minutes down the road that is winning and has a better atmosphere.
    Peyton Manning, quarterback for the Denver broncos (nfl) guaranteed 20 million US last season and likely the same for next season. Age 37. Not bad for an old man.
    (Can't wait for the football guys to jump on your soccer comment Bill)

9. W J Liggins

Yes, well, Gridiron football is another thing completely, and since it is played in the States, the earnings are fearsome. Trouble is, in the UK where I thought that we were relatively sensible, Rooney's earnings are going to set the bar so high that some of the smaller sides are simply not going to compete. Sad really, but hopefully Rugby - League and Union, and cricket won't go the same way and price the fan out of the grounds.

Cheers

Pommie Bastard Bill