Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Re-use of Single use dressings

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by One Foot In The Grave, Oct 24, 2005.

1. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I share a clinic room with another Pod and every monday have to clear the drawers of all of the open dressing packets that have been taped shut so they might be used again.

It's driving me nuts!

Can anyone give me any links to a study or professional body's statement about not keeping unused portions of a dressing for later use?

I'd like to have something to show the Pod in question to re-inforce my belief he shouldn't be hoarding the off-cuts!!

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

OFiTG
    In Australia there is a recently published new infection control manual, endorsed by all state registration boards, that all podiatrists must follow, or risk a professional standards breach and the potential roth of the reg board.

http://www.apodc.com.au/infection/nat_infection_control.pdf

Page 31 should solve your problem

Wound dressings
    The application of wound dressings must be conducted following standard precautions utilising a ‘clean’ aseptic technique. Additional precautions may be required if indicated.
    Wound dressings intended for single use and/or labelled as ‘single-use’ by the manufacturer must be disposed of after use. The use of single use dressings is preferred where possible. Where a product is available in multi-use containers, the manufacturer’s guidelines must be observed at all times. The product should be dispensed into a separate sterile container prior to use and any unwanted portions discarded immediately after the procedure.

3. One Foot In The Grave

One Foot In The Grave Active Member

Thanks Stephen.

I assume these new guidelines supercede the 2001 version by the Victorian Pod Reg Board?

4. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

They most certainly do. The board approved these guidelines at its August meeting