Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Risk factors for exercise-related lower leg pain

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Hylton Menz, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Hylton Menz

Hylton Menz Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Excellent study just published in Gait and Posture:

A prospective study of gait related risk factors for exercise-related lower leg pain

T.M. Willems, D. De Clercq, K. Delbaere, G. Vanderstraeten, A. De Cock and E. Witvrouw

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to determine prospectively gait related risk factors for exercise-related lower leg pain (ERLLP) in 400 physical education students. Static lower leg alignment was determined, and 3D gait kinematics combined with plantar pressure profiles were collected. After this evaluation, all sports injuries were registered by the same sports physician during the duration of the study. Forty six subjects developed ERLLP and 29 of them developed bilateral symptoms thus giving 75 symptomatic lower legs. Bilateral lower legs of 167 subjects who developed no injuries in the lower extremities served as controls. Cox regression analysis revealed that subjects who developed ERLLP had an altered running pattern before the injury compared to the controls and included (1) a significantly more central heel-strike, (2) a significantly increased pronation, accompanied with more pressure underneath the medial side of the foot, and (3) a significantly more lateral roll-off. These findings suggest that altered biomechanics play a role in the genesis of ERLLP and thus should be considered in prevention and rehabilitation.​

link

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    They got the Nike award at Cleveland ISB conference for that work.

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Here is another related paper that was just published:

Intrinsic factors associated with exercise-related leg pain in collegiate cross-country runners.
    Clin J Sport Med. 2006 Jan;16(1):10-14.

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is a challenge for any students reading this...

Look at the abstracts for the two studies above...what is the fundamental methodological design difference between them that substantially weakens the conclusions from one of them? (PS - its not sample size)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  5. Lin

Lin Welcome New Poster

One is prospective and the other is cross sectional. You can't imply causation from a cross sectional study.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Another one from the same authors:

Gait-Related Risk Factors for Exercise-Related Lower-Leg Pain during Shod Running.
    Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Feb;39(2):330-9
    Willems TM, Witvrouw E, DE Cock A, DE Clercq D

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Exercise-Related Leg Pain in Collegiate Cross-Country Athletes: Extrinsic and Intrinsic Risk Factors.
    Reinking MF, Austin TM, Hayes AM.
    J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37(11):670-678.

8. Peter1234

Peter1234 Active Member

Hi Hylton Menz,

the study seems good to me (Willems et al), however is it correct to attribute a group as a control after finding the pathologies? is that still considered randomised?

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk factors for self-reported exercise-related leg pain in high school cross-country athletes.
    Reinking MF, Austin TM, Hayes AM.
    J Athl Train. 2010 Jan-Feb;45(1):51-7.

10. Griff

Griff Moderator

Anyone know what model of foot type classification they used?

11. Griff

Griff Moderator

Nevermind I found it - the Journal of Athletic Training is free/open access.

I've attached it for those interested

Ian

Attached Files:

12. stickleyc

stickleyc Active Member

I used the Willems articles pretty extensively for my dissertation and if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure that they pooled their left and right foot results from subjects including using bilateral "injured" feet as 2 separate incidences. That obviously has some problems. But as my advisor always said "there are NO perfect studies.."

Still 2 good articles and I applaud their efforts - I did a prospective study for my dissertation with a much smaller sample than they did and I know how flippin' hard it is to keep track of people over a time course.

13. NewsBot

Articles:
    The relationship between isotonic plantar flexor endurance, navicular drop, and exercise-related leg pain in a cohort of collegiate cross-country runners.
    Bennett JE, Reinking MF, Rauh MJ.
    Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2012 Jun;7(3):267-78.

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Incidence and risk factors for medial tibial stress syndrome and tibial stress fracture in high school runners.
    Yagi S, Muneta T, Sekiya I.
    Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012 Aug 9.

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    A SURVEY OF EXERCISE‐RELATED LEG PAIN IN COMMUNITY RUNNERS
    Mark F. Reinking, PT, PhD, SCS, ATC, Tricia M. Austin, PT, PhD, ATC, and Ann M. Hayes, PT, DPT, OCS
    Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2013 June; 8(3): 269–276.

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Intrinsic factors associated with medial tibial stress syndrome in athletes: A large case-control study
    M Winters; H Veldt; E W Bakker; M H Moen
    S Afr J SM 2013;25(3):63-67. DOI:10.7196/SAJSM.376

17. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/risk-factors-for-medial-tibial-stress-syndrome/

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk factors associated with medial tibial stress syndrome in runners: a systematic review and meta-analysis
    Newman P, Witchalls J, Waddington G, Adams R
    Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine 2013, 4:229-241

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk Factors for Tibial Stress Injuries: A Case-Control Study.
    Beck, Belinda R. PhD; Rudolph, Katrin MD; Matheson, Gordon O. MD, PhD; Bergman, A. Gabrielle MD, PhD; Norling, Tracey L. BHS(HM), BN
    Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine: June 20, 2014

20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk factors for medial tibial stress syndrome in physically active individuals such as runners and military personnel: a systematic review and meta-analysis
    Karrie L Hamstra-Wright, Kellie C Huxel Bliven, Curt Bay
    Br J Sports Med; Online First

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    The relationship between Shin Splints with anthropometric characteristics and some indicators of body composition.
    Sabeti V, Khoshraftar Yazdi N, Bizheh N.
    J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2014 Oct 6

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    Studying the Relation Between Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome and Anatomic and Anthropometric Characteristics of Military Male Personnel
    Vahid Sobhani et al
    Asian Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 March; 6(2): e23811

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    Intrinsic and Extrinsic Factors Associated with Medial Tibial Stress
    Syndrome in Division III College Female Track Athletes

Marissa Basar, Lauren Aulick, Joan Rocks, Ph.D, ATC, AT, Angelo Lamatrice, PT, MPT, ATC, AT, and Shelley Payne, DHS, PT, ATC, AT
    Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health Sciences: Official Journal of the Ohio Athletic Trainers Association; Volume 1; Issue 1 O

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Exercise-related leg pain and risk factors in inter university distance runners.
    Chaudhary S, Bellam MB, Shenoy S.
    Saudi J Sports Med 2016;16:32-40

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    Conceptualisation of a region-based group of musculoskeletal pain conditions as ‘tibial loading pain’ and systematic review of effects of load-modifying interventions
    Thorlene Egerton et al
    July 20, 2021

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    BMI – Not a Risk Factor for Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome? A Critically Appraised Topic
    O’Reilly M, Lipton, A, Medina McKeon JM: Ithaca College, Ithaca NY
    Source