Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Burning Feet Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Mark Russell, Dec 2, 2004.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Male 66 y/o with history of COPD and angina presents with burning feet syndrome of 18 months duration. Occasional remission but for only short periods < 2hours. Worse at night. Non smoker. Significant history - when he was 35 y/o working with Glaxo manufacturing penicillin, he received compensation for lung damage from over-exposure to sulphuric acid fumes.

Current medication regime:

Terbutaline Sulphate Nebuliser; Ipratropium Bromide Nebuliser; Risedronate Sodium Tabs; Atorvastatin; Prednisolone; Candesartan Cilexetil; Nitrazepam; Nortriptyline; Salmeterol Xinafoate Dry Powder Inhaler; Furosemide; Co-codamol; Uniphyllin Continus; Salbutamol Inhaler; Amlodipine Besilate;Isosorbide Mononitrate.

The only way this gentleman is able to sleep is by building a dose of nortriptyline and nitrazepam up during the evening. Even then, because of his feet, he is only able to sleep for 2-3 hours. Any suggestions?

Mark Russell

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Peripheral neuropathy in chronic respiratory insufficiency.
    J Peripher Nerv Syst. 1998;3(1):69-74.
    Jann S, Gatti A, Crespi S, Rolo J, Beretta S.

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

The original message in this thread was also posted on he JISC Podiatry list. Here are some of the responses:

4. Andrea Castello

Andrea Castello Active Member

Hi Mark

I have had some success with the use of Opsite wrapping of the feet in this type of situation. The treatment is effectively wrapping the feet in Opsite (with the skin under some tension). I had improvement in enough cases to feel that it is at least worth a try. I read about it in a journal (can't for the life of me remember which one). Hope this helps!! :)

5. Sammy

Sammy Active Member

Hi Mark, you wouldn't by any chance be the same Mark Russell thats causing all the trouble in the UK SOCAP site? Anyway, re sore feet. It is quite probable that the aforementioned replies are spot on. There are 2 other avenues you could try.
    1) Check out the bio-mech etc. Long term ab-twist etc will cause pl metatarsalgia etc ( I know this re-ply is crap but I'm presuming all sorts of stuff and anyway I haven't seen the patient, tho for a small fee...)
    2) Put the pt on pantothenic acid tablets ( Vit.B5.I think/hope - jeez, why are you asking these technical questions at Christmas?? hic!) I know this works in some cases and is worth a shot. The underlying problems will need sorting tho' but with a bit of luck it might be one of your colleagues whoes on next time the pts due.. Sam