Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New Graduate Network

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Euan McGivern, May 31, 2011.

1. Euan McGivern

Euan McGivern Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear All,

As a hopeful new graduate (all being well with results I should graduate in 4 weeks) I am interested in setting up a newtork of new and recent graduates to share support, advice and experience.

I used pod arena a fair bit during my undergrad years and it seems the perfect place for new grads to get together on line.

If anyone is interested in contributing please reply.

Kind regards
    Euan

2. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Hello Euan,
    I think your idea is splendid and I hope you have a good response.

Good luck with your exam results.

regards

Catfoot

3. As catfoot says, an excellant Idea. I should be happy to assist in any way I can.

4. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hello Euan

The Institute are actively involved in a new graduate network. Please contact secretary@iocp.org.uk or 01704 546141

All the best

Bill Liggins

5. Catfoot

Bill,
    Not backward at coming forwards with a bit of self-promotion are you? :D

And the SCP have branches all over the country comprised of graduates.

I believe that the young gentleman who made the original posting would like to start his own network, which is a very commendable idea. It will also count in his CPD portfolio in a couple of years time.

regards etc.

Catfoot

6. I don't think Bill counts as a NEW graduate ;) (sorry Bill) so its not really self promotion. And I think the key here is "new".

If you have a light, why hide it under a bushel?

Was at a branch meeting / study day over the weekend and we were talking about a branch based program for biomechanics mentorship. A program of support for newly qualified Podiatrists would be an admirable idea. If the IOCP have instituted a program specifically to support new graduates, well done to them! The society should do likewise.

7. Catfoot

Then, dear Robert, maybe you could bring this idea up at your next SCP Branch meeting and/or have it as an ADA motion?

It is worth pointing out to new graduates that the SCP has Trade Union Membership as part of it's membership package, other Professional Bodies do not. A point to ponder for a new graduate who wishes to work in the NHS.

regards

Etc

Catfoot

8. nina89

nina89 Member

Hello Euan,

I heard about the network (thanks to Robert)and i found it a really good idea...hope everything goes alright with your exams....

Regards,
    Nina

9. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Well, here we have a supreme example of pots calling kettles black!

Clearly Catfoot, (I note that you avoid using your own name) you are unaware that the Institute has branches all over the country. I did not mention this in my posting in order that I should avoid being accused of promoting that body, or 'self promotion'. To the best of my knowledge, no other professional body in the UK has created a new graduate network, but if your body wishes to copy the Institute's ideas then, of course, it will do so. Also Euan has shown that he is well able to speak for himself and does not require you to act as his mouthpiece.

Kind regards

Bill Liggins

10. Euan McGivern

Thank you to everyone who has replied for your advice and support.

Bill, I have contacted the Institute as you suggested for more information.

As I get get something up and running over the near future I shall post updated on this thread.

Kind regards
    Euan

11. Good man.

I wish you well with your eville scheme.

12. Euan McGivern

As a start I have set up a here to chart my experiences and hopefully get more people to contribute.

Please feel free to comment on posts and suggest content.

Thanks
    Euan

13. nasia

nasia Member

Hello Euan

I believe that your idea is excellent and I would like to contribute for this one.

New graduates always might feel insecure with a specific area, like I do sometimes with

Biomechanics, therefore it would be a way to support each other by sharing our

experiences. I will be graduating hopefully this year as well so I am really looking forward

for this new network.

Regards,
    Nasia

14. Catfoot

Hello again Euan,
    Have you thought about asking Craig (the owner of this site) to give you a new forum/section just for new grads?
    That would make it easier for viewers to find information/discussion on specific topics, rather than trawling through possibly lenghty threads.

Just an idea.

Good Luck

Catfoot