Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Gender determination via by tarsal bones

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by C Bain, Mar 1, 2012.

1. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Just came across this one, has there been any comment here?

They can now identify sex of individual by the dimensions of the Tarsal Bones alone!

Good for archaeology and forensic remains no doubt!

The report is on,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120229105126.htm

Or some think like that?

Regards,

Colin2000.

2. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

Re: Gender by Tarsal!

I had a look at the paper and there is side asymmetry between measurements in male talus , cubiods and cuniforms!? .I had a quick look and they measure the various bones in a set way and compare. I dont know if there is any possibility of this being of clinical use but it is intresting.I am amazed at the things I now find of interest , must be getting old
    tim

3. blinda

blinda MVP

Yep, Monday is looming...:drinks.

4. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

We were finding differentiation by sex in human tarsal elelements 20 years ago in the Oxnard Lab of Western Australia. Their comment that "[roughly]... one dimension can be misleading, however if one uses two..." is a simplistic way of saying that there is a clear case for a multivariate analysis. We found that, using simple principal components analysis, on appropriately transformed data, a clear sexual dimorphism in the talus, calcaneus and cuboid. The latter was particularly the case in certain groups from Southern Africa. Multivariate analysis is an incredibly powerful tool, when used appropriately. In fact sex was a minor player; far greater patterns of morphological variation found using this and the similar but more powerful canonical variates analysis, were related to shape. Clearly, most of this was related to function - but there was frequently a small but finite amount related to phylogeny, "gene pool", geography, or similar quantum.