Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

NHS 'not giving value for money'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NewsBot, Mar 27, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The BBC are reporting
    NHS 'not giving value for money'

2. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

3. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

re elderly

Dear All,

That statement is nonsense>

Nationally 25% of uk population over 65.

So if we use age to ensure parity of access then only 25% of NHS Podiatry caseload should be the over 65.

But in my PCT because we prioritise according to CLINICAL RISK AND CLINICAL NEED 80% of our caseload is the over 65.

In my area a retirement area the population is 30% over 65.

If you go back 10-15 years the criteria was for :

Men over 65
    Women over 60.

This was sexist and ageist and did not reflect AT ALL clinical need or risk.

Mental Handicap

Physical Handicap

Children under 16 or in full time education.

Pregnant Women

This is sexist.

Until our world is sufficiently funded then a form of rationing will be required.

Trouble is nobody can come up with a really good form of rationing.

I thought Podiatry was a Health Care Profession and not a social service.

regards David

4. Writing in The Times today, Libby Purvis commenting on the Audit Commission Report into the Care of the Elderly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article//0,,6-2106348,00.html

Somehow, I think this profession has a great deal of work to do.

Mark Russell

5. Dawn Bacon

Dawn Bacon Active Member

From article by Libby Purves. "His doctor had neither suggested this, nor referred him to a physio".

An illustration that the general public are unaware of the role of podiatrists or even that podiatry exists? I find it so frustrating that Ms Purves' automatic reaction to her friends heel pain was that a physiotherapist should have been consulted.

I will go now and continue banging my head against the brick wall :(

Poll