Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Peroneal Tendinitis or Sinus Tarsi Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by anDRe, Feb 20, 2010.

1. anDRe

anDRe Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello all
    I'd like to get your opinion on a case that arose this morning in my clinic.

Patient 21 years old, military, suffered 2 months ago from a inversion grade I ankle sprain on is right foot, he whas treatmented whid ice and took anti-inflammatory drugs during the first 24 hours after that the orthopedic immobilized the foot using plaster for about 1 month.
    After this month he was discharged because he had no painful symptoms.
    When he returned to is training after 3 weeks he started feeling pain on the outside of the foot that incapacitated to carry out is activities.
    The patient brought all the exams he had done at the time of the sprain (Rx, and MRI).
    During my initial evaluation I dint come across any signs of bruising, swelling or edema, however, performing inversion of the foot the patient complained of a very painful pain along the peroneal tendon and muscle activity of this muscle is practically non-existent because of the pain. In assessing the rearfot in prone position I found it to be in about 4 ° varus position and to assessing the rearfoot in heightbaring he had a valgus reafoot of about 2º.
    My initial suspicions were that this is a peroneal tendinitis or perhaps a Sinus tarsi syndrome?
    My inicial treatment plan is to perform a orthotic device whid a valgus extension to Increases pronatory torque under the metatarsal heads in order to reduce supinatory torque.
    I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks
    André

2. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Hi Andre
    Has the patient had any physiotherapy? Any type of rehabilitation?
    Trigger points through the peroneal muscles can give such pain and dysfunction.
    1 month in a cast seems unusual and I would expect functional rehabilitation would be essential.
    Cheers

3. Agreed. You can, of course, have both problems with peroneal muscles and sinus tarsi syndrome post inversion sprain. You should work on your diagnostic techniques and anatomy if you don't know how to differentiate between these structures.

4. Andre,

Here some reading for you http://www.aapsm.org/sinus_tarsi_syndrome.html

and some articles on other things to look for in peroneal problems.
    Ihave some other articles on the work computer that I can upload on Monday.

I would suggest as the others have said that you need to work out where the pain is comming from before you start tx. Maybe consider a MRI or Ultrasound to get a full diangnostic picture. Look at the cuboid as well it maybe subluxed (an paper on that on Monday for you) .

If it is peroneal related ( brevis,longus) consider a RF Lat Skive as well as the Valgus extension.

But you maybe need to consider other tx options as well as the orthotic, ice, rest physio ( as others have said), but I would suggest some more investigations with MRI/ultrasound to get a exact diagnosis then you can build a better tx plan.

Attached Files:

5. footdoctor

footdoctor Active Member

think cuboid syndrome, look at 5th ray r.o.m. If reduced, manipulate.

how is stj rom, end range of eversion sticky? calc-cuboid joint restricted?

check for myofascial trigger points in peroneals.

casted for 1 month? will probably need home strengthening program i would think

orthoses- semi rigid poly shell, ext rearfoot post 0/0, 4 degree forefoot valgus posting, no lat arch fill, max medial longitudinal arch dressing reinforce/fill plantar lat longitudinal arch.

good luck

scott

6. Heres some other stuff for you Andre,

Hope it helps

Attached Files:

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Andre

If it's sinus tarsi compression then you need to increase external supination moments. If it's stress in the peroneals then you need to decide which peroneal and why it is excessively stressed.

E.G. the peroneus longus might be stressed by resisting supination of the STJ or it might be stressed by resisting the 1st ray being dorsiflexed. The latter may happen because the 1st ray/MPJ is low or stj pronation increases GRF at the 1st MPJ and in both cases 1st ray dorsiflexion is compliant to GRF.

It is essential that you identify the injured tissue and the reason why in terms of increased stress.

Read these
    http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=1869&highlight=sinus tarsi syndrom

http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=7534&highlight=sinus tarsi syndrome

http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=1922&highlight=sinus tarsi syndrome

Its not always obvious how stress migh tbe applies eg http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=38079&highlight=peroneus longus

and sometimes you need to discover the exact nature of the injury to the specific tissue eg http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=2340&highlight=peroneus longus

There's some good reading right there

Regards Dave

8. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

ANdre:
    I think you should redo his history, something is amiss here.
    If he had a grade 1 sprain why order an MRI and why cast him for a month? This sounds as though the initial injury was more severe. The mechanism and severity may help you evaluate this patient more correctly.
    FYI: around 50% of linear peroneal tears are missed on an MRI.

Steve

9. anDRe

anDRe Active Member

I agree in my opinion the orthopedist may have suspected something worse!!!

I asked the pacient for an MRI so I can see if there isnt any fracture or perhaps a ligament tear. I am going to wait an see!

Michael thank you for these papers, I have already read a couple of them and they are very interesting.

I dont have many experiencia with peroaneal injuries, so thank you all for your post it has help me a lot.

:drinks